Expand my Community achievements bar.

Email submit does not launch Outlook which is set as default client

Level 2

I designed a form in Adobe LiveCycle and added an Email Submit Button.  When I saved the finished form as a PDF and clicked the Email Submit button to test the form (after filling it) it returned an error as follows: "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client".  My default email client is Microsoft Outlook 2010.  Meanwhile when i click on other mail to links elsewhere, even on a webpage, Outlooks launches automatically.  Any help??

8 Replies

Former Community Member

off the top of my head... the following comes to mind:

1) Either a setting in Reader (an unknown one to me)

2) Either reinstall reader and see (was Reader or Outlook installed first on the machine)

3) Does the PDF only give this error when "run" from within designer, or does it also do it when run in stand-alone mode.

Level 10

This happens fairly often, does it on my Win7 64 box at work. Something to do with how Acrobat calls MAPI in Windows. Never found a way to fix it.

Also did it for me under WinXP using Thunderbird.

Level 1

What version of Office 2010 are you using, 32 bit or 64 bit? In an office program click on the File tab, then Help. The version of Office will be listed under the About heading. If you have 64 bit Office you will need to *either* uninstall the 64 bit version of Office and install the 32 bit version *or* obtain version 11 of the Adobe product you are using (Acrobat or Reader).

Adobe products version 10 and less are incompatible with the 64 bit MAPI broker that is installed with 64 bit Office installations. (The MAPI system is what makes the email submit button and other email related functions able to communicate with the mail program on your computer, Outlook). This incompatibility was fixed in Acrobat/Reader 11.

Level 1

Also, keep in mind the people you will be distributing your form to will also run into this issue if they are using 64 bit Office and an old version of an Adobe product. You will probably want to remind them to ensure they are at least running the current version of the free Adobe Reader program, since that is usually an easier solution than reinstalling Office.

Level 6

ChrisDTC,

What you've mentioned is good to know... I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic.

Although I’m not having the same problem specifically, as I’m running Office 2013 (Office 365 subscription, 32 bit) and Acrobat Pro/Reader 11, I’ve been having issues with Outlook 2013 being named the default MAPI in Windows although I still have Outlook 2010 installed and set as my default email client.

So basically, I have Office 2010 and 2013 installed on the same machine. I love the look and feel of Excel, Word, and the other Office ‘13 products except for Outlook.  Outlook, overall is great, but the color and subtle contrast makes navigating somewhat difficult, and I’ve also had issues with working with a particular IMAP account (something to do with my IMAP Sent folder not sync properly within Outlook 2013)

As a result, I discontinued using Outlook ‘13 and have Outlook 2010 set as my default. Whenever I click on a submit button from within Reader and/or Acrobat, it brings up an outgoing email in Outlook 2010 with the pdf attached and recipient address auto-populated (as desired), however, it appears the MAPI is being serviced by Outlook 2013, not Outlook 2010.

I discovered this issue after never receiving test emails sent using the submit button, nor finding a sent message in my Sent folder associated with my Outlook 2010 mail account.  After looking into the Windows settings for default programs, I see Outlook 2013 set as the default for MAPI, but Outlook 2010 set as the default for everything else. There’s no way for to deselect/override the MAPI box within Outlook 2013 as I’m assuming it’s set that way since Outlook 2013 is higher than Outlook 2010. Sort of like how Adobe Reader 11 would become the natural pdf default, even if you have Acrobat 9/X Pro installed.

The only way for me to fix this issue is by removing Office 2013 entirely, or by simply using Outlook 2013 altogether.

Although this may not be entirely related to this topic, I bring this up just in case someone else runs into something similar (with a similar application setup as mine). Care should being taken to ensure the email is actually being sent when you have Outlook 2013 and 2010 installed, but relying on Outlook 2010 when submitting forms.

Level 1

Also, something that will probably be relevant to the OP and something I learned from my previous situation is you will probably also need a download from Microsoft to make the 64 bit MAPI work with Reader 11

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1091980

Level 6

All good to know! I guess I've never run into these issues before since I typically run Office 32 bit.

Level 1

Yeah, because of these issues and some others I have run into I have found that 32 bit Office is the best choice unless a user has a specific need for something 64 bit Office can do that 32 bit cannot, which are rare, things like spreadsheets larger than 4GBs etc..