Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Editing fragments directly on a form

Level 3

One of our customers made a form with multiple fragments. Some of the fragments on the form can be edited directly on the form, one does not have to right-click the fragment and select edit fragment.

This appears to be a bug or something or perhaps they are creating the fragments incorrectly. Has anyone else seen this happen or know what causes it to happen?

Here, in this image you can see that the text area within the fragment is editible.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

The have an option to embed th efragment into the template .....did they choose that option?

Paul

Level 3

I'm not exactly sure how they created the fragment. I don't see an embed option anywhere after the fragment is created. Do you mean when they right-click and select "create fragment," they must have the "Replace selection with reference to new form fragment" selected?

Level 3

Here is the XML  source for that particular fragment. Obviously the that is editible is quite different from the one that is not.

Maybe this can help you understand that problem.

Editible:

<subform x="0mm" y="135.052mm" usehref=".\fragment\LimitedWarrantyStatement.xdp#som($template.#subform.LimitedWarrantyStatement)">
               <draw minH="0.203in" name="T34" w="204.461mm" x="0mm" y="0mm">
                  <traversal>
                     <traverse ref="T44[0]"/>
                  </traversal>
               </draw>
               <?templateDesigner expand 1?></subform>

not editible:

<subform x="0mm" y="102.438mm" usehref=".\fragments\OH_StandardStatement.xdp#som($template.#subform.OH_StandardStatement)">
               <?templateDesigner expand 1?></subform>

Level 10

Are you also getting a message in "Warnings" tab "This fragment reference has local overrides to one or more properties of the source fragment"?

I thought this was quite useful.  It meant I could have one fragment for contact details and then use it in one place for a project contact (and override the captions to suit) and use it elsewhere for another type of contact but keep all the validations for phone, email, etc

I have had some trouble when I've been editing the JavaScript of an event in a control within a fragment not realising it had been overriden so I created a custom object that wrapped the fragment with overrides for the parts of the fragment I would allow people to play with (e.g. the captions) and these could then be updated in Designer.

I hope they don't "fix" it.

Bruce

Former Community Member

I work with fragments all the time and use Designer 8.1. This seems to be some sort of bug with the program. This problem happens from time to time for no apparent reason. All you have to do is click on the selectable parts in the hierarchy of the main xdp and delete them. Do not delete the actual fragment, just the part in the fragment that you can select (WRRPCondition4). Then save the file and close it. When you reopen the xdp the fragment will be in it's correct state. You can first create a backup copy of the file if you are nervous about doing this but trust me, it will sort out your problem. I do it all the time.