Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Dynamic form not displaying correctly on Window?

Level 1

Hi guys and girls,

I have done a dynamic form that will add portrait & landscape pages from different master pages depending on the section. The form works beautifully when tested with Acrobat Reader 8 & 9 on both Mac & Window platforms. However, when the client run the form on his Window XP with Acrobat Reader 8.1, some parts that suppose to be populating the portrait pages have been pushed over to the landscape pages that follow. More to it, some radio buttons actually appearing outside the pages. When the pdf is closed & reopened, the layout corrects itself and display the form how it should be.

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced something like this?

Thanks!

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Are you running any scripts in events like layout:Ready or form:Ready?  I'm had issues with script in those events.  If the script breaks it just stops (as JavaScript does), so sometimes the form won't be able to lay itself out correctly.

You may also want to check your log to see if you have any functionality that is incompatible with the version(s) of Reader/Acrobat the form is planning to run in.  Versioning can throw things off sometimes.

Hope this helps!

Ryan D. Lunka

Cardinal Solutions Group

rlunka@cardinalsolutions.com

Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Ryan. It's much appreciated.

There is a script involving form:Ready on the Landscape page (dynamically adding table rows). However, I have tested on Acrobat Reader 8.0, 8.1.3 and 9 and the form bahaves as it should. It is when my client run it on his machine with Acrobat Readder 8.1.0 that it doen't displaying it correctly. It happens at the additional pages to be added before the landscape page.

So now, I'm tring to strip the form back section by section and get my client to test it for me, as I don't experience the problem here on all the machines I tried at work.

Everyone please crossed their fingers. I will post if I found the fault(s).

Former Community Member

Keep an eye on your Pagination settings in the Object palette for your subforms. You may just have some of the master page settings for subsequent pages mixed up.

Ryan D. Lunka

Cardinal Solutions Group

Level 1

Thank you Ryan. I've tried a few different Pagination settings.

In the end, we've worked out that it is Adobe Reader 8.1.0 that's buggie (just happened that we managed to find that version of Reader to test it on). We tested it on Reader 8.0 and 8.1.3 at the beginning and it was fine so we didn't think there'll an issue with 8.1.0. When upgraded to 9.1, the form performs as it should.

Now we just need to convince the IT department of our client to upgrade their reader.

Thanks again Ryan, for all your time and suggestions.

Former Community Member

That is always the challenge, isn't it. If you're interested, I know there is a way you can detect the user's Acrobat version and prompt them to download the most recent version. Email me if you're interested and I'll try to dig up how to do it.

Ryan D. Lunka

Cardinal Solutions Group