Expand my Community achievements bar.

don't allow users to save the form in Acrobat Reader

Level 5

Hi All.

I gave Acrobar Reader users ability fill in and print the form by Save As in Acrobat Pro like Reader Extended PDF --> Enable Additional Features. Now I would like to disable SAVE and SAVE AS option in Acrobat Reader File menu don't allow users to save the form. How it to do?

Thanks.

6 Replies

Former Community Member

In Acrobat, go to File --> Properties..

Then follow the instruction given at the bottom.

Level 5

Hi mrfale67. Thanks for replay.

When I open properties in Acrobat Pro what I do I need to do?

Thanks.

Former Community Member

I am using Acrobat X (not in English) and I can see instructions given at the bottom of the properties window (protection tab). You should see these instructions once you open the Reader rights extended document.

Can you see them?

Former Community Member

Hello,

Adobe Acrobat is used to design and edit forms, while Adobe Reader is only for reading.

Once you reader extend any form, actually you enable some usage rights on that particular form and once you open that form in Reader, you will be able to perform the action that you have enabled.

So the first thing is the end user must have Reader not Acrobat, otherwise no use of reader extending the form.

Now to your question..

1. If you design form in LiveCycle designer, you can use validate element to prevent save, put this in XML source like below.

<config>

<present>

<validate>preSave</validate>

</present>

</config>

1. If you are designing form in Acrobat itself, you can use script to disable menu items.

For details please look in this blog.

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2009/11/11/adobe-reader-how-to-disable-toolbar-buttons-and-menu-item...

-Vijay

Level 10

This answer is not correct.

It's not possible to prevent saving at all.

The validate element in the XML source will only warn the user to fill mandatory fields if there are any, but it won't cancel the save process!

The only actions that can be canceled by this method are prePrint, preSubmit and preSign.

Former Community Member

So the possible soultion would be disabling the menu item or use LiveCycle Rights Management soulution.