Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do all forms in adobe 8 when sent make a dataset?

Level 2

Every time i distribute a form in adobe 8 it automatically sets up a dataset but most of the time i don't want this can any one help as to suggest how i can stop this?!

Thanks

6 Replies

Former Community Member

What design tool did you create the form with?  Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8, or did you create an AcroForm using the native form tools in Adobe Acrobat Pro?

When you say is sets up a dataset, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks

Steve

Level 2

Hi thank you for your reply.

I have designed the forms in live cycle 8. When i go to distribute the forms via adobe, itstates that a data set must be created. Most of the time i dont want to create a data set and have to keep deleting this folder i was just wondering if there was an easier solution, and it must be sent via adobe as to recieve forms back in PDF format.

Hope you can help.

Former Community Member

If you do not want the "data sets" created, then do not use the "Distribute Form" functionality of either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe LiveCycle Designer, as I am not aware of anyway to disable this.

You could simply send the form to your client as an attachment to an e-mail.  The only issue with this is that if your clients are using Adobe Reader, the form will need to be "Reader Extended" to allow the data to be save in the form.

You can either reader extend a form using LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES (on a server) which I doubt you have, or use Acrobat Professional.  The following is from the Acrobat Help...

"Enable Reader users to save form data

Ordinarily, Reader users can’t save filled-in copies of forms that they complete. However, you can extend rights to Reader users so they have the ability to do so. These extended rights also include the ability to add comments, use the Typewriter tool, and digitally sign the PDF.

1. Open a single PDF, or select one or more PDFs in a PDF Portfolio.
   2. Choose Advanced > Extend Features In Adobe Reader.

These extended privileges are limited to the current PDF. When you create a different PDF form, you must perform this task again if you want to enable Reader users to save their own filled-in copies of that PDF."

Hope this helps

Steve

Level 2

Hi thank you,

I automatically reader enable all my forms, the issue is if i send the form via email i recieve it back in xml file and it has to be converted in to pdf which i know isnt difficult but for the company i am producing the forms for this is valuable time, and they really need them in straight pdf!

Mustbeluck

Former Community Member

Make sure that the "Submit As" property of the Submit button is set to "PDF", not "XML Data (XML)" or "XML Data Package (XDP)"

Steve

Former Community Member

If you chose the default submitEmail button then it is programmed to send XML data files and not th efinished PDF. This is doable and has been answered many times before. Do a search for email PDF on the forum and you will see multiple options.

Paul