Displaying value only in Drop Down List

Level 1

Greetings,

I have a drop down list with value:text as follows:

01:Daylight

02:Dusk

03:Dawn

04:Night

I would like to present the user who clicks on the drop down list with all of the literal text options (daylight, night, etc), but once selected, the object populate and print only the value (01, 02, etc).

I thought about resizing the object when the user clicks on it, and then resizing it back once selected, but this seems rather cumbersome.  Space on the printed form is very limited, which is why the value/codes are used to represent the actual literal options.

Any methods or ideas would be greatly welcome

Thanks!

Brad

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

You could just go with tool tips in the Accessibility tab. The resize is fairly straight forward (look at the mouseEnter and mouseExit events). Also you could have the literal as part of the display text, eg "02:   Dusk", so that the user sees the full item, but that when printed all you see is "02:".

You could also have a legend that appears on mouseEnter.

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

You could just go with tool tips in the Accessibility tab. The resize is fairly straight forward (look at the mouseEnter and mouseExit events). Also you could have the literal as part of the display text, eg "02:   Dusk", so that the user sees the full item, but that when printed all you see is "02:".

You could also have a legend that appears on mouseEnter.

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

Here is a sample that shows what I think you want. I have a TextField that is displayed. When the user enters the field, I hide this field and make a DDlist available to the user. This DDList is placed behind the TextField and is hidden (not part of the layout) until the user enters the TextField. I also hide the TextField (this code is on the Enter event of the TextField). Now that the DDlist is visible you can set up a DDList to display one thing but report another. This is what I did (look at the binding tab of the DDList). Now when the user selects an item from the DDList the TextField is updated, the DDList is hidden and the TextField is made visisble, then the cursor is placed in the next field. This code is on the Exit event of the DDList.

Is this what you were trying to accomplish?

Paul