Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Detect if fillable form is open in Acrobat (as opposed to Reader or web browser)

Former Community Member

I have a fillable form that is Reader Extended (so it can be saved from Adobe Reader). After a user fills in the form, he clicks a submit button that sends a data stream to a servlet. The servlet embeds this data as XML in another version of the form, converts the form to be PDF/A compliant, and returns the new PDF/A form with embedded data. That all works fine when the fillable form was open in either Reader or a web browser. But if the user has the fillable form open in Acrobat when he clicks the submit button, the embedded data is stripped out of the PDF/A form that's returned by the servlet.

It's not a problem if the user fills in the data while the form is open in Acrobat, as long as he closes the form and opens it in Reader or a web browser before clicking the submit button.

Is there a way to detect if the fillable form is open in Acrobat (perhaps in the preSubmit event?) so I can display a message warning the user to save and close the form, and then open it in Reader or a web browser before clicking the submit button?

8 Replies

Former Community Member

Thanks, Srini, this told me how to get the name of the viewer (ex. Reader vs. Exchange-Pro). Unfortunately, viewerType doesn't seem to distinguish between the form being open in just plain Acrobat versus being open in Internet Explorer - the viewer type is the same for both (Exchange-Pro).

It looks like there's a userAgent value that can distinguish between Acrobat and a browser - is this a value that I can access from a Designer form?

Thanks.

Alice

Level 10

The below script can provide you whether it is Acrobat or not..

xfa.host.name

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

I added the following code to my submit button, but it gives me the same appType and host.name values for IE and Acrobat, so I can't tell them apart:

var

viewerType = xfa.host.appType;

var

viewerName = xfa.host.name;

xfa.host.messageBox("Viewer is "

+ viewerType);

xfa.host.messageBox("Host is "

+ viewerName);

viewerType is Exchange-Pro

viewerName is Acrobat

Level 10

You need xfa.host.version.

I recommend downloading a copy of the LiveCycle Designer Scripting Reference - you'll find it all in there.

Level 8

I also want to find out if the PDF form was opened in Acrobat or Browser.

I tried xfa.host.name and I am always getting "Acrobat". For example, if I open the PDF from IE using Ctrl-O and display the value of xfa.host.name I always get "Acrobat",

I think the best way is to check the doc.path or doc.URL (using event.target). If the path or URL starts with "http://" then most likely the PDF form was opened from the web server using a browser.

Appreciate your feedback.

Tarek

Level 7

xfa.host.name will always give you the name of the XFA renderer (e.g. Acrobat, Reader),not the container (standalone, IE, Firefox). Therefore, your approach makes sense.

Level 8

Thank you jnicholas330​ !

As per this article I should get the browser name.

However, my approach is working fine so far.

Tarek