Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Designer form prompts Reader X error:"This PDF form requires a newer version of Adobe Reader"

Former Community Member

I have a PDF form that was created using LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2. PDF version 1.6, so it's good for Reader 7.x and above.

When someone using Adobe Reader X tries to open the form, they get this javascript error message:

"This PDF form requires a newer version of Adobe Reader. Without a newer version, the form may be displayed, but it might not work properly. Some form elements might not be visible at all. In an internet connection is available, clicking OK will download and install the latest version."

Is there anything I can do to the form that would make this error message go away? Is this a know issue with Adobe Reader X or Designer?

9 Replies

Level 2

Hi,

Steps for solving the issue.

Step1:

Open the form in Adobe LiveCycle designer form.

Step2:

Click on File>form properties.

Step3:

Select the Default tab.

"choose the version to run form in " --select the version you want your form to

run.

thanks

Renjith

Former Community Member

Maybe I didn't explain myself. The form is set to run on version 7 and above. The error message appears in version 10 (aka X) - in other words, the latest version of Adobe Reader is asking for a newer version of Adobe Reader - for a form that that is designed to run on versions that are much older than version 10.

Former Community Member

Is there any code running on the form?

Reader X has come out with additional security features that must be disabled to get any PDF form w/code to work.

Open Adobe Reader X --> click on Edit --> Preferences.  Under the General Category, uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup" (last checkbox in the dialog box).  Click OK and try to open your form.

Level 2

Hello

I tried the both solution proposed above (Using of Form properties in LiveDesigner and to disable Protected Mode at Startup in the Reader), but the error message still appear. I'm using Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2 (Build 8.2.3.4195.572397) and Acrobat Reader X. Mys colleagues use Adobe Reader 9.0 and have the same message as I...

Former Community Member

Does your form contain JavaScript and/or Formcalc code?

Former Community Member

Can you send me your form at Eve.Tracy@gmail.com, and I will take a look at it.

Former Community Member

Looking at the XML, it is compatable for Reader Versions 8 or above, so it shouldn't prompt you to install newer version (I am running Adobe X and it prompted me).  With that, I would say it is a corrupt pdf form.  I would have the person who created it resend it.

Level 2

Ok. Thank you very much, Ida.

Regards,

Andrey