Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Designer ES 8.2.1.3144 crashes

Level 2

Good Morning folks,

I wish I could do a search on the forum here since this may be old news to everyone... I've searched Adobe and Google and have downloaded a couple of updates I thought might work but was unable to install the updates (Acrobat 9 Pro as well asLivecycle Designer ES ver 8).

Last December I bought the CS4 bundle that includes Acrobat 9 Pro that contains Livecycle Designer ES, shipped on CD. All the programs run just fine. (I run both XP and Vista).

I didn't discover the Livecyle program until a couple of weeks ago and became very enthused... On XP, after using Livecycle a couple of weeks - just started crashing everytime I started it. The program does load but crashes whenever I try to open an existing PDF file or start a new file. I switched to Vista and same thing - the program worked a few days and then (now) gives the same crash when opening a file or staring a new one. I tried reinstalling Acro 9 Pro but still get the crashes in Livecycle (Acro 9 Pro itself works just fine).

I found some info on Livecycle crashes - something about long filenames (or large size files) being replicated over and over and eventually leading to crashes like I'm having. The two files I downloaded, one a zip file titled Designer82_English_SP2 and the other, a Windows Installer patch named AcroProStdUpd910_T3T4_incr. When I try installing either of these I get the same message: "...cannot be installed... program may be missing or patch may update a different version, etc.".

I probably could have just said "Why is my Livecycle Designer ES version 8.2.1.3144.1.471865 crashing" at the beginning of this and y'all would have (maybe) said Geeze, that's old news.... I'm just at a loss here and am a week behind schedule on what I'm doing with the Livecycle program.

Thanks so much for anyone pointing me in the right direction.

- es

7 Replies

Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Noone seems to answer to care about it. This sucks =(

Level 10

Hi,

LC creates a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Designer\8.2.

07-09-2009 20-03-59.png

This folder can get corrupted (happened to us once). If you delete this folder; reboot and then restart LC, it will recreate the folder and this should solve the crashing problem (worked for us).

It does mean that you will have to set out your workspace how you like it again, but this is not too much hardship.

Hope that helps,

Niall

ps Also you could send the crash report to Adobe, see announcement at top of page...

Level 2

Thanks, Niall... Deleting the 8.2 folder does give a workaround for XP. I'm running the Livecycle program on both XP and Vista (can't find where to delete the file on Vista) but at least I have the program running again. Deleting this folder allows the program to run for a while, maybe a few hours, maybe a few days and it goes to crashing again but, at least deleting this folder does let the program work for a while...

As an update to what I've found on this bug in Livecycle, everything points to either a vcredist_x86 download that corrects a mfc80u.dll problem and/or downloading and installing the Livecycle Designer ES Service Pack 2, Version 8.2.1.2. I have tried both and neither solves the crashing problem. The service patch will not install in either XP or Vista, giving a "contact Adobe tech support" on failed installation.

I have yet to hear from Adobe tech support on this. It does seem to be a bug issue for many people when you search the forums. This isn't clearly addressed on the Adobe website - and should be.

I've been using Adobe products since the early 90s, and this tech issue in a program within my (registered) CS4 Premium Suite is one of the worst nightmares I've ever had to go through with Adobe. All the programs in CS4 work just fine - except for Livecycle Designer ES and this bug within the program is not a "highlighted" issue on the Adobe site.

I will post again to this string when (if) I hear something from Adobe tech support.

(Thanks to pguerett for your private email help as well.)

- es

Level 10

Hi,

I have version 8.0 on a Vista machine and it looks like the folder location is here:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming|Adobe\Designer\8.0\ (or 8.2 depending on your version)

visio screenshot.png

Please note I have not tried to delete the folder on this Vista machine ("if it is not broken, don't fix it" mentality), so proceed at your own risk. Also if Paul is on the case, I am sure he will get a solution for you.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Yeah I got it to work. I installed that hotfix by Microsoft and got it working

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Level 2

Thanks for the input on this folks.

I've been in a 'tech hell' on this for a while and maybe am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Adobe help with Livecycle issues is not available through Adobe's support portal - only a paid support contract is available for Livecycle. However, I was able to get tech help through the support email posted last week "for those who are having tech issues not resolved through the regular support email"...

The Livecycle Designer ES (ver 8.2.1.3144) that is packaged within Acrobat 9 Pro (that is bundled with the CS4 Suite I bought) does have crashing issues.

I tried the mfc80u.dll update referenced in postings in this forum. The file I downloaded to fix this (vcredist_x86) didn't resolve the crashing issue for me.

Niall's post here about deleting the 8.2 folder does allow the program to run again but, at some point starts crashing again until you again delete this folder. (Thanks again, Niall for providing a workaround.)

I tried to update my Livecycle program with Adobe's Livecycle service pack 2 update patch (Designer82_English_SP2) but that didn't work for me. The email from Adobe support says this update is for the stand-alone (enterprise) version only.

I tried uninstalling Acrobat 9 Pro and reinstalling it but that didn't work either. I also tried installing the Acrobat update I found at Adobe - AcroProStdUpd910_T3T4_incr but the download didn't recognize my version of Acrobat. Apparently, I downloaded the wrong update for Acrobat.

According to Adobe support, "quote": In order to update the bundled version of LC Designer you need to download and install the Acrobat 9 updates. To bring your copy of LC Designer to 8.2.1.4029.1.523496.0, you need to download and install the 9.1 Acrobat update which you can find here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4375. After installing the Acrobat 9.1 update your copy of LC designer will also have been updated to the most recent version.

I've not done this yet. It's a hefty download and I need to get on another computer with a higher speed connection. I did want to go ahead a post this in the forum though since I know others are having this problem.

I'll post here again after I've tried the download that Adobe support mentions above and, hopefully, this particular post can rest as a 'fixed' issue...

Thanks again for your responses.

- es