Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Deleted text reappears after saving!

Level 2

Hi there,

I have made several forms in livecycle designer and extended them in acrobat for use with adobe reader. When users save data in the forms and reopen them it is still there as before. Also if they update the data and save and reopen it is still updated. All good so far. However if they delete data (and leave a field blank) and save and reopen they find that the original (deleted) data is still there. This only seems to happen in text fields inside flowed subforms (Which is most of my fields in most of my forms...). Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

13 Replies

Former Community Member

Just tried it and I cannot duplicate ...can you past a sample? What version of Reader are you suing?

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul,

I'm using reader 9. I tried to create a demo form completely from scratch and it worked fine, which leads me to believe it's nothing arising from an old software version. So I made this demo one from (a completely stripped down version of) the template I've been using to make most of my forms and it still has the same problem. Hopefully this just means it's a setting wrong somewhere. I hope you can find something! :-)

Thanks,

Richard

Former Community Member

Works fine for me .....Unless I am not duplicating correctly. Can you outline the steps you took to duplicate the issue?

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the speedy response.

Here's some simple instructions that will cause the issue for me.

1. Download the form I posted (it is already extended for use in reader).

2. Open it in reader and type something in the text field like "hello".

3. Close the form and click "Yes" when it asks if you want to save.

4. Open it in reader again and clear the text.

5. Close it again and again click "Yes" to save it.

6. Open it in reader once more and notice it still says "hello" (or whatever).

I feel this really should happen the same way for you if you're using reader 9 as the same occurs on my colleagues' computers.

Thanks,

Richard

Former Community Member

OK I duplicated it ......there is caching of the form data. There is a setting in Edit/Preferences/Forms that controls whether Reader will cache form data or not. I think the option will only be there if you open Reader without a form.

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul,

I can't see this setting, even if I have reader open with no file loaded. This may well be the problem though. Obviously I'd rather the solution wasn't making everyone who would use these forms disable caching (especially if I can't find the setting for it!). So is there a way to set the form to disable caching?

Thanks again for your help,

Richard

Former Community Member

You can add this command to the DocReady event of the root node:

event.target.nocache = true;

Paul

Level 2

That didn't fix it. :-(

Maybe caching isn't the problem. I'ts definitely not just the setting in reader as it does the same in acrobat. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Former Community Member

I have tried everything that I know. You may want to do a search in the Acrobat forum and if you do not find something then post there. There are more Acrobat/Reader technical savvy people on that forum. This issue has nothing to do with Form Design and more to do with Acrobat/Reader.

If you do get an answer can you post the result back here (so that others may benefit).

Thanks

Paul

Level 2

We have found that the data only persists in text fields set to rich text format with binding set to normal which lie in flowed subforms. So it's clearly not just to do with the way acrobat/reader handles data in general but it must be something in the xml tags for rich text that's causing reader to handle it differently. Might the rich text tags be adding something I'm not seeing?

Former Community Member

Interesting .....just tried it with Acrobat and got the same issue. You are right it is around Rich Text. I also noticed that if I change the text it works as expected. It is only if I delete the text. I would suggest opening a bug with support.

Paul

Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I think this is "fixed" now. (or at least we have a workaround?)

To restate:

1. The text reappears after it is deleted, saved, closed, and then reopened.
  2. This only happens when the text is in a (rich text) text field and in a flowed subform.
  3. The problem goes away if you change the text field to plain text.
  4. I had no luck with anything related to "nocache".

This has to be a bug, yes? Any updates since this thread was started?

Thanks all,

Joe

Level 10

Hi,

I think this is resolved in Acrobat/Reader X, however have a look at this solution if using earlier versions: http://assure.ly/KiW57c.

Niall