Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Data overflow - in repeated subform & Tables Western Text Issue

Former Community Member

Hi Experts,

I have a issue with 2 tables lying side by side - say Table A on the left and Table B on the right.

When the Table B has a overflow of data in the next page. Then the overflown dataset rows of Table B goes to

the left in the next page instead of its column head i.e.right of Table A. This happens only when the

table B is overflowing and Table A on the left remaining in Page 1.

I have used two Table form element and wrapped them up in flowed subform with page breaks.

The flow direction is kept Western Text - the reason for which I am getting this problem.

Now I can't keep Top to down flow direction because as per spec I need the two tables to be adjacent

to each other. I tried with repeatable subforms am getting the same issue.

Please help - I could have attached the sample on which I am working on - but dont know how to do so

cant find a attach button anywhere in the posting area.

Regards.

Rohit

15 Replies

Level 10

Hi Rohit,

I know the behaviour, when you have nested subforms and the overflow is left aligned. I don't think that you can resolve this easily.

Another user had an issue where the left subform was positioned, but the right overflowed. The workaround there was to have a second Master Page with the content area reduced in width. This might work if the left portion does not overflow onto a new page. If it does overflow then you may need to check the length of the left hand subform and change the min occur of the first Master Page.

Sample here: https://acrobat.com/#d=2jvwqjhV4vpFwmrApNWW0g

You can't upload forms/files directly to the forum. You will need to upload these to a file sharing site like acrobat.com and then share the published link here.

Acrobat.com.png

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Former Community Member

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the quick response -  let me explain the scenario in greater details.

We have a Trip Expense Reimbursement form in which we have two tables - Table A and Table B.

Table A lists all the trips with receipt amount > $25 and the Table B lists all the trips with receipt amount <$25.

Therefore both the table can overflow - can u elaborate on the point where you mention checking the length of the

left subform. I got the idea of second master page and create a small second content area and then allow the Right

subform to flow to its designated content area.

P.S. the samples that you have posted in ur blog is proving to be great learning example for our employees in our organization.

Thanks a lot for ur painstaking efforts.

Regards.

Rohit

Level 10

Hi Rohit,

Glad you are finding the solutions useful

I think that if you counted the number of rows in Table A, then you could increase the occur.min for the first Master Page if the number of rows means that Table 1 overflows. You can probably predetermine how many rows in Table A will fit on one page.

I haven't tested the syntax, but you will need to resolve the Master Page when setting the min occurrence. Something LIKE the following in the layout:ready event (based on 20 rows per page):

if (TableA._Row1.count > 20)

{

xfa.resolveNode("#pageSet.Page1").occur.min = "2";

}

You could probably set up something more automated:

var pagesRequired = Math.ceil(TableA._Row1.count / 20); // round up the number of pages

xfa.resolveNode("#pageSet.Page1").occur.min = pagesRequired;

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Former Community Member

Niall,

I tried with your suggestion - it didnt work; probably I am making some mistake.

I have uploaded the form in acrobat and sendin you the link to let you have a look at it & if possible make changes.

https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=esG6CY6AeDyy3zOixVHDGg

The first page  (P1) is the original form page. I have added P2 to experimeent with various possiblities.

In P1 I have used Tables form element & in P2 I have used repeatable subforms to mimic the same functionality.

My requirement is to have both the subform to start in the same page/Content area and then move to different content area or page when

data overflows, currently which is not what I am getting.

Thanks and Regards.

Rohit

Level 10

Hi Rohit,

I don't have access to the file. You need to publish the file and then copy the published link.

Acrobat.com.png

I'll try and get to it later today.

Niall

Level 10

Hi Rohit,

This has beat me!!!

Here is a form: https://acrobat.com/#d=cm5MxhzGSeN8dvT2e3jLpQ

I have used separate content areas. This works for the righthand table. But when the lefthand table overflows it brings the top of the righthand table with it.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

I came up, that the handling of several content areas is very difficult.

I redesigned the form and only used one single content area.

The rest of the handling is done with flowed and positioned subforms.

A table now can do a page break if neccessary without affecting the position of the other table.

2Tables.jpg

https://acrobat.com/#d=SZuq6ztC4bn1mTW2-napzQ

Level 10

Excellent Radzmar!!!

Having the two tables in a positioned subform works, which I didn't expect.

Happy holidays,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi Radzmar,

I tried using the positioned flow technique but whats happening is the tables are getting shifted to the next page, inspite of the fact that the their is sufficient space in the first page itself.

Since the tables are getting populated from SAP backend. Can you try ur suggested solution using a dummy XDP file having enough data which will force Table A (i.e. the table on the left hand side) to flow into next page.

Thanks for the response.

Please let me know if you are able to achieve the desired functionality.

@ Niall and you, Happy Christmas.

Thanks and Regards.

Rohit

Former Community Member

This issue is solved - I tried with a sample XDP file and tested the forms - its working perfectly.

Thanks a lot

Rohit

Former Community Member

Hi Radzmar,

Can you get the header row to repeat across multiple pages?

Thanks and Regards.

Rohit

Former Community Member

Hi Rohit,

Can you attach the sample XDP thats working? In our case, the right hand side is not a table, but combination of table and texts. So not able to figure out the solution.

Thanks

Charli

Former Community Member

The solution was obtained by getting the two tables enclosed in a positioned subform - only catch being

we cant have the table header repeated to the next page.

I am closing this thread

Former Community Member

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the quick reply. When I am trying with 2 tables side by side, I was a getting blank page in between as you mentionend in the post. Couldnt able to eliminate it? How did you solve the blank page issue?

Charli