Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Data Merge

Level 1

hello..

I have a PDF with field names that I created in LifeCycle... how do I get employee data to appear on the PDF  for each employee.  I have a file with 30 records.  I would like to have a new page that shows the employee data ( a new page for each employee )

Squeak...

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

The first thing to look at is what format the existing records are in. Is it XML, spreadsheet, or database?

It is possible to import data into an XFA form (one that is developed in LC Designer), when it is opened in Acrobat. Please note however that unless you reader enable the form with the full LC Reader Extensions server component, users with Reader will not be able to import (or export) data from the form.

Niall

Level 1

Thank you for confirming that it is possible for a user to view several of the same PDF with different data overlayed on top of it… now as far as full LC Reader Extensions server component  some direction on that would be much appreciated. 

I’d would prefer to send the user the finished product rather than having him connect to a server.

Squeak...

Level 10

Hi,

I have a summary of the different ways to deploy a form (taking into account whether it is reader enabled and what software the users has - Acrobat or Reader). http://assurehsc.ie/blog/index.php/2010/05/using-livecycle-forms-in-acrobat-and-reader/

The next question: is the user just going to open the PDF, view the data and print it off? Or are they going to have to input new/additional data and then save the PDF again?

If the user is going to have to save the form and they only have Reader, then you are going to have to Reader Enable the form.

You can do this through Acrobat Standard v9 (or Acrobat Professional v8 and below). There are licensing restrictions and you will not be able to import/export XML or make data connections after the from is enabled. 

Workflow could look like this:

User does not need to save the PDF (not enabled)User needs to save the PDF form (Reader Enable)
1 Import XML data into form or execute data connection1 Import XML data into form or execute data connection
2 Reader enabled the form, before sending out
2 Send out form to user3 Send out form to user

You would have to Reader Enable the version you are sending out each time (eg after you have imported the data).

If you were using the full server edition of LC Reader Extensions, you would still be able to import/export XML and make data connections AFTER the form was enabled, so would only have to do this step once.

There are lots of good examples on the forum.

Hope that helps,

Niall