Expand my Community achievements bar.

Customize autocomplete filter of DropDown

Level 1

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a more complex autocomplete solution for a dropdown list.

It's described in several sources that by enabling the "custom text entry" of the dropdown list, open it up on enter and do some filtering on exit, you have a simple autocompletion. This filters the items in the list such that only the items starting like the typed text are shown.

In my case, I have an adressbook in the background and want the autocompletion to search in multiple fields. For example, having "John Doe" in the dropdown list, I want to match the filter not only on "Joh" (first letters of the display value) but also on "Doe" (first letters of the last name).

For that I created a change event script that takes the typed string and fill the dropdown with the matching items. So far it's working fine.

But sadly after my filter the build in filter seems to hook in and hides all items that are not starting with the custom text.

Is there a way to disable this behaviour?

I have tried several other solutions like put a text field in the foreground of the dropdown box and use this for text entry, but it moves to the background as soon as I focus on the dropdown, or using a text field and a floating list that is shown when needed but no scrollbars are shown unless you focus the list and then you can't type anymore, and so on.

I would be glad if you can help me or tell me an idea that could work!

Regards,

Philipp

1 Reply

Former Community Member

Hello Philipp,

I am also trying to work thru the same thing. Possibly we can get there together ...

I am familiar with the "custom text entry" method, but that alone doesn' suffice.

I am trying to tackle it without creating any extra text fields, etc, ... just use the drop-down list field itself.

Right now I am reading in detail http://forums.adobe.com/message/2372156#2372156

Seems like this is trying to tackle the same functionality you are looking for.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Regards, Martin