Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Pop-up form? Response box isn't enough

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a form that is filled out with information by a company salesman before given to the customer. Therefore, I have about 10 things I need to get inputted to the form when it is first opened. As of now, I have 10 different popup boxes when the form opens, this is not ideal. I would like to do a custom form that simply has all 10 questions on it so they don't have to go through 10 "xfa.host.response" boxes everytime they want to fill this form out. Is there anyway to do this?? I understand I could simply leave text fields instead of doing a popup box but this looks tacky to the customer and I want it to pop up so these fields will definitely get filled out.

Thanks,

Matt

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Why not have a subform that has all of the questions and make it visible when the form opens and then make it invisible/hidden after the questions are answered?

paul

Level 10

Hi,

Stephen has a very nice solution here, where the field containing the sale person's questions are hidden and only become visible when three fields have specific values (that are only known to the sales team).

See here: Password protect subforms

Niall

Level 2

Thank you, that is definitely a viable option. I was hoping to be able to pop-up this subform though, so that the salesmen are forced to fill out these fields when the document is open. Also, with the visible/invisible subform I will have to alot of "empty" space in the document to put this form somewhere, which is not ideal. If there is no other solution I will simply make the subform invisible once it is filled out, but I would prefer it to be more idiot-proofed with a forced popup form so that these fields HAVE to be filled out.

Matt

Level 10

Hi,

I think a mixture of Paul's and Stephen's solution would work for you:

• Set up the invisible/visible subform. This could be over the normal form objects, because it will be hidden from normal users.
  • As Paul says you could set its presence based on the exit events of each of the fields in the subform. If all fields are not null, then hide subform. This would encourage the sales team to fill in the data, as this would be the only way to hide the subform. You would delete the 'Hide Subform' button.
  • Then you could implement Stephen's solution as a means of showing the subform again, eg typing in set data into three fields that are normally visible.
  • I would be inclined to have script clear the data in the invisible/visible subform when it is made visible again, so that the data has to be inputted from scratch. This will help the exit scripts in these fields.
  • A docReady event script could check the values of the fields in the invisible/visible subform and if any of these are null, the subform presence would be set to visible.
  • Remember to set the 'Save script changes' to Automatic in the File > Form Properties > Defaults window.

Close to workable,

Niall

Level 5

You could also look at app.execDialog  - this will produce multi field dialog boxes.  I believe Windjack has a tool for creating them as well.

Mark