Expand my Community achievements bar.

Creating a two columns text reflow

Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to create a two column page which needs to get data that will fill the columns. Upon filling one column, the text will need to reflow to the next one (as much as a two column text frame in a layout program does).

Is it possible in a Designer ES? (version 8.2.1.5161.1.566259) What is the best practice to do so?

Thanks,

Yossi Maoz

9 Replies

Former Community Member

You will need to create two content areas on the master page (one content area for each column). Then on the overflow of the 1st content area indicate which content area to go to next (the second row).

Paul

Former Community Member

I'm also interested in this functionality.

I've created 2 content areas on single page but not able to place controls on the second content area.

Pguerett, can you please post a simple example of such a form ?

Thanks, Yan

Level 1

Hi

Thanks for that. I created two columns in the master page, and set the pagination to flow to next content area. It doesn't seem to work… I might be missing something? 

Yossi

Former Community Member

Here is an example file that I created .....you may have to update the File/Form Properties/Preview to point to the location where you put the sample XML file.

Paul

Former Community Member

Are you trying to make it an interactive form or are you going to merge data onto the template and make a print form? In either case I modified your sample. The root Page subform must be set to flowed. You do not need a field in the second content area. I resized the 1st field to make it easier. I changed the layout to allow the field to expand in the Y direction (on the layout tab). I cahnged the Form Properties/Preview to Interactive so that I coudl enter in data. Now when the field fills up scroll bars will appear and when you tab off of the field the field will be redrawn to its actual size. Enter in enough data to case a page overflow and you will see the second column fill up.

Paul

Level 1

Hi

Thanks- that is what I was looking for.

Yossi

Level 1

Hello Paul,

Sorry for commenting on the old thread. I am also looking for some thing same. Hoping that you will reply.

My use case is I want some headlines and images on the first page only and don't want these on second page and want two column layout. The example you have shared  have only one master page so this case will not be possible to implement.

What I thought about this is to create two master page both having two content area and first master page will have headlines and images with two content area. Now challenge I am facing is how to flow data from second content area of first master page from first content area of second master page.

I hope I am able to explain my problem. Hoping for the reply.

Archit

Level 2

Hi Paul,

this really helped me. My requirement is little different from the solution what we have here. When the content doesn't fit in Column2 it has to flow to the next page. But it should start in column1 and column2 next in next page. When I look at your pdf it is flowing to next page but in column2 only. I am attaching how it was doing.

I am just calling them as column1 and column2 for easy understanding though it is just text field.

Appreciate any help.!

Thanks

krish

Capture.PNG

Level 7

Subforms is one way to do it, but you can also use the Full event. All you need in column1's Full event is the setFocus code to focus on column2