Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Created a form in LS but it will only open in most recent version of Acrobat Reader

Level 1

I've tried opening the PDF form created in LiveCycle into my full professional version of Acrobat and then saving as an optimized version but I get this error....

"This PDF document contains an Adobe XML form.  Such files cannot be optimized."

There has to be a work around for this.  I can't send the form to my client (who paid me to create it) - if he can't even open it up.  He also can't use it for his clients if they are all expected to upgrade their version of acrobat.

Please help!!

4 Replies

Level 10

You can't optimize LC forms in Acrobat. LC (XFA) forms are really xml files with a special wrapper that displays them in Acrobat/Reader.

To get that far you had to open it in Acrobat so it sounds like it opened fine.

Level 1

I can open it just fine and it functions just fine, but when I send it to my client...he can't open it.  He gets a message telling him he needs to upgrade to the latest version of Acrobat.  What good is the form builder in LiveCycle if you can't send the form to other people to open.  He can't expect everyone to upgrade...it's just not logically possible given the amount of people he would send the form too....

Thanks for your reply.  it seems as if there is another way...

Level 1

Well - I've been playing around and went into LC --> File --> Form Properties.

I then selected the Compatibility tab and clicked on the buttons for Rendering Model, Text Formatting and Event Model to revert these all to Legacy (Version 6).  Then I saved it and mailed it back to my client.  He had not problem opening at all and as far as I know..it's still functioning.  

Level 10

I was just going to point you there. I would set it to 8.1, that's what we do with all our forms. Check what version your client is using.

At some point people do need to upgrade and the software is free. Version 8 is quite old now. And there were a lot of changes between version 6 and 8.

Check the Warnings log (Window > Report) to make sure things are compatible, it will tell you if you've used features that won't work with your target version.