Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Create PDF file which will write to mdb

Level 1

HI there.

I have a requirement to add some code to a set of PDF files which will be read by members of my team as part of their induction.   Each pdf has a form at the end which captures their name and a tickbox to state that they have read the document.  When a submit button as part of the form is clicked I would like to write these basic details to an access mdb database so that we can keep a check of who is compliant with the induction process.

Is it possible to use Livecycle designer to create a document which will do this when opened in Adobe Reader?  I don't need the code to do this - just need to know if it is possible.  If not are there any other ways I could save the information on the form silently without the user needing to do anything other than submit the information?

I've read somewhere that for certain things to work you need to activate some kind of reader extensions - is that the case for this solution?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Matt,

Yes, if the user has the free Adobe Reader, then database access will require the form to be Reader Enabled in LC/ADEP Reader Extensions.

While you can Reader Enable a form in Acrobat (with restrictions), connecting to a database is not permitted.

See here for a summary: http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Matt,

Yes, if the user has the free Adobe Reader, then database access will require the form to be Reader Enabled in LC/ADEP Reader Extensions.

While you can Reader Enable a form in Acrobat (with restrictions), connecting to a database is not permitted.

See here for a summary: http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Thanks Niall - disappointing answer but the one I've been looking for an answer for for ages.

Mat