Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Completed PDF returned blank? Form not filled out using MAC.

Level 2
Level 2

We have created a number of forms in LiveCycle.  The submit button returns the form as a PDF and usage rights are enabled.  They have been working well for a couple of years.  We did encounter the issue of forms being returned blank when completed using a MAC in the past, but that problem was solved with a provided script.

Just recently another form was received blank, however in this case, the recipient was not using a MAC to complete the form.  The form looks fine at their end and they have tried twice to submit the form with the same result.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

Many Thanks.

8 Replies

Former Community Member

It's hard to determine what is causing your problem w/o examining the document. Can you post a link to the document?

If you need full control over your PDF e-mail submission, then check out www.PDFEmail.net

PDFEmail.net works with Acrobat and LiveCycle PDFs. Sends PDF e-mails w/o 3rd Party email software such as Outlook.

Former Community Member

As well can you give us the details of the machines and the versions of software being used by the client?

Paul

Level 2
Level 2

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, I cannot post the document as, although it appears blank, the client has entered personal information into the form.

Thanks for the link.

Level 2
Level 2

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the form recipient, but I have been informed that they are not using a MAC and the Properties of the returned form indicate the PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller 8.1.0 (Windows).

Thanks.

Former Community Member

Distiller ?????? Are they printing it to PDF and emailing you the version that they have? If so you shoudl be able to try it and see if you get the same result. Without the form it will be near impossible to determine what is happening!

Paul

Level 2
Level 2

I just tested the form, by entering data and printing to PDF and it works fine.  Also, the form submitted by the client still allows data entry so it has not been printed to PDF. 

I apologize that I can't give you more info, and understand that makes helping rather challenging

This form has been working fine for two years, so I will just chalk it up to a once-off anomaly.  If it does happen again, I will try to get more info and post again.

Thanks again for your response.

Level 4

Hi Paul,

I get this same question.  Sometimes the person is using a Mac and sometimes not.  When the person is using a PC, usually they are forgetting to save the form before sending it via e-mail, however, some people are convinced they saved the form with data entered.

Would an outdated version of Adobe or and outdated browser cause a blank form?

We are trying to provide instructions for users if they are returning a blank form.  If we tell them to update their PC to the most current version of Adobe and update their browser to a current version, we just want to make sure this is the correct instructions.

Former Community Member

On a PC the only thing that woudl cause a blank form is if the bindings are not set on the fields. If this was the case then all returns woudl be blank.

On a Mac if they are using the mac Viewer software (I think it is called Preview)  instead of Reader then there is a known issue where they are not creating the PDF ocrrectly. If your users use Reader the blank form issue goes away. Note that it is onlt the reciever who sees a blank form not the person who is filling it out.

Paul