Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Comments Not allowed?

Level 8

Hello freinds,

I have installed Adobe LiveCycle designer 8.2 in my windows 7 machine, i opened a brand new pdf and entered contact details, then am trying to write comments, but, when i saw its peoperties, i noticed that COMMENTS: NOT ALLOWED under security tab!! Pls. let me know how i can enable and so that i can write comments.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Commenting is possible with static XFA forms, but not dynamic XFA forms. It's also possible with acroforms.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

Commenting is possible with static XFA forms, but not dynamic XFA forms. It's also possible with acroforms.

Level 8

Thank you.

I have Designer 8.1 and Reader 9.0 version. My OS version is Windows 7.0

So, pls. let me know now what i have to do add/write COMMENTS to my pdf doc

Regards    

Level 4

There are actually two things that you're seeing here.

1. George is right that you can only comment on static XFA or PDF forms.  You can't add comments to dynamic XFA forms.
  2. Also, commenting on forms is only possible
    1. If you are commenting in Acrobat (not Reader)
    2. or if you have reader-extended the form (either in Acrobat Pro or with the reader extensions server) you can add comments in Reader

The tipoff was your extra bit of information that you are trying to use Reader for the commenting.

Level 8

Thank you for your reply. Am sorry that still i did not understood your

answer bcz am very poor in adobe technology.

I have Adobe LiveCycle designer 8.1 in my machine (Windows 7) and Reader

I am opening an Adobe from a web application and then inputting my contact

info in in its input entry text fields, and then trying to write COMMENTS,

but, form is not allowing me to do so!

Pls. eloborate your answer

Thank you,

Srinivas

Level 4

Reader 9 will not allow comments on a document or form. 

The only way to comment on a form is either to use Acrobat (not reader)

or to put a special "token" inside the PDF so that commenting can be unlocked in reader.

You've not said what version of Acrobat you have.  But if you have Acrobat 9 Pro, you can reader-extend for commenting from Acrobat menus at "advanced/extend features in Adobe Reader."  If you have another version of Acrobat, let me know and I can point you to the command there.

You can also read a description of Reader Extensions on the web site

Level 10

Hi Srinivas,

Just to add my bit to the discussion, which is the same as what George and Chuck are saying.

The issue is that the form is opening in the free Adobe Reader (even if opening in a browser, the Reader is still being used). As a result certain functionality is not available.

For example, if the form is not Reader Enabled, then users with Reader will not be able to add comments to the form.

Even if the form is Reader Enabled, if the form was originally saved as a Dynamic XML Form (in the LiveCycle Designer save-as dialog), then you will not be able to add comments.

When working with forms that are created in LiveCycle Designer, you can only add comments where the form was originally saved as a Static PDF Form in the save-as dialog.

Here is a summary. I suspect that your form is in Option 2, that is the form is not Reader Enabled and is opened in Reader.

options.png

http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

In addition there is a long discussion here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2686010#2686010

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 8

Thank you for your time.

Actually, am a SAP ABAP programmmer, its ERP software that used in all major

corporate houses for their regualr business.

We are developing a program(this prog. yields a URL finally, say *

intranet_compnay_xxx*), where in the business end user (sits at front desk

of office) opens a URL (intranet_compnay_xxx) so an Adobe Interactive Form

opens on the screen, so front desk user enters customer's contact info and

submits into system so that it will be saved in data base.

LiveCycle Designer 8.1 is installed and i hv Reader 9.0 in my laptop.

1) Pls. let me know wht is special "token" here? at what level we hv to put

it? who will put it? (we have a special software infrustructure team

dedicated, they installled ADS)

2) Do I need to install Acrobal Pro in my laptop? or simply Acrobat? when i

opened C\Programing Files\Adobe, here i did not see any 'ACROBAT'

word/name/stuff!

Thank you

Level 4

SAP was the last, I hope, detail needed in this.

SAP's Interactive Forms by Adobe (IFbA) has reader extensions built into it.   That will be how the form, provided it is not a dynamic form as has been related in previous posts, can get reader-extended.

If you're not successful with this bit of info, post a response and I will get a few other Adobe/SAP experts involved.

Level 8

Thank you. Yes, i am not successful. I have gone thru the link provided, but

did not get any clue.

Would you like me to install ACROBAT 8.0 in my laptop so that i can write

COMMENTS?

Thank you,

-Srinivas

Level 1

Srinivas,

In the Adobe Form design click on "Utilities->Insert Web Dynpro Script" if you haven't done yet.

-Chandra

Level 8

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, i did it, but still i could not write comments in the form (LiveCycle

desgner 8.1 and Reader 9 has installed in my laptop windows 7).

Actually, pls. let me know how it ("Utilities->Insert Web Dynpro

Script") helps me?

Regards,

Srinivas

Level 6

Are your forms dynamic or static XFA forms? The answer to this question is important. As mentioned several times now, commenting is not possible with dynamic forms.

Level 4

Below is an email I received from one of the Adobe/SAP developers.

It sounds like you are trying to use Designer in stand-alone mode to create a PDF that you are then testing in your system without direct access to your SAP system.  That’s not going to get you where you want to go.

To begin with, you need to be working in the WebDynpro development environment. (either ABAP or JAVA but it sounds like you’re an ABAP developer, so I assume that’s the one you’ll use).  When you’re in the environment, build your overall web page and insert the Adobe Interactive Form into the web page (as someone above indicated).  Then edit that form object.  That will let you build and create a form within the SAP environment.  When WebDynpro displays the page, the form on the page will have Reader Extensions applied and you should no longer get the message you are getting.

One other thing.  This will only work if you have properly set up Interactive Forms in your SAP environment. Most especially, note that you need to apply to SAP for a Reader Extensions certificate (I forget the note number that tells you how to do that).  They will send you the digital certificate that you must then install into your J2EE environment as per the documentation.

Level 8

Thank you for ur answer.

To be honest i am not understanding the word "Dynamic word". Let me explain

my scenario.

Front desk guy: Puts the URL (we - SAP IT team will provide this URL, this

link is intranet link) in a browser, then, the Adobe opens on the browser

with some input enabled fields.........then, front desk guy enters some data

(contact info/address) in the input fields of the adobe, finally, pressess

the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the form.

We (IT team) use to call it as Adobe Interactive Form.

1) Pls. let me know is it a Dynamic form?

2) If yes......do u suggest us to install the Acrobat Pro 8 in first

place/as pre-requisit in the front desk guy machine/laptop?

3) If not....wht is the alternative, because writing COMMENTS is big

requirement to us/company

4) Pls. let me know Wht do u mean STATIC FORMS?

We all this developing in SAP as back end ERP

Thank you,

-Srinivas

Former Community Member

There are two types of PDF forms that you can create with Deisgner. Static forms are ones where the layout is fixed at the time is created. Dynamic forms can change size and shape as the user enters data. For example in dynamic forms, you can have fields that expand as the user enters lots of data or you can have subforms that have a different number of repeats depending one something the user enters (e.g the number of dependent children).

With Dynamic forms the layout is constantly recalcualted. But in that mode you can't have comments on the form.  Static forms, where the layout never changes can have comments.

I don't remember how you select whether you want a dynamic or static form in Web Dynpro.  I know there is a setting in the Form Properties in Designer but you may also have to make a setting in Web Dynpro as well.  You should check that with SAP or in the SAP documentation. (Seach on IFBA & Dynanic).

Les

Level 6

I've been assuming that you created the form in LiveCycle Designer. To tell whether it's saved as dynamic or static, open the form in LiveCycle Designer and select: File > Form Properties > Compatibility > Form Type

It will indicate either "Dynamic XML form" or "Static PDF form". What does it say for your form?

Level 8

Thank you. Yes, he got it exactly.

So, i am guessing the issue is here "you need to apply to SAP for a Reader

Extensions certificate (I forget the note number that tells you how to do

that). They will send you the digital certificate that you must then

install into your J2EE environment as per the documentation."

Pls. let me know,

1) Do i need to get this Reader Ext. Cert from Adobe firm?

2) Is the NOTE is from SAP or from Adobe released?

3) They will send you....u mean....Adobe?

Thank you,

Srinibas

Level 8

Thank you.

Its saying "Adobe XML Form File (XDP)".

Yes, am developing in LiveCycle designer 8.0

Thank you

Former Community Member

You need to get the cert from SAP. 

The note I refer to is an SAP note.

SAP will send the cert to you

Since you are trying to do all this from SAP you should be licensing interactive forms from SAP and getting your support form them. You can file normal SAP messages in the usual way to get answers to any of your questions.  There are areas for WebDynpro for ABAP which is where you should probably start asking the questions.

I would also recommend you log onto SDN and follow the tutorials and examples there.  You'll find more people there who can answer your SAP specific questions about Adobe forms.

Les