Expand my Community achievements bar.

Combining Text Boxes for Text Flow and Making Two Drop-downs Always the Same Selection

Level 2

I am a layman and I am sure that these are basic problems, but I have searched the forums for answers to no avail:

1. I need to combine text boxes so that text flows into the second box (I still need to limit the text to the visible area).  Unfortunately, I cannot just use one box and allow multiple lines. 
  2. I have two drop-down boxes that I want to always be the same selection.  That is, if one is changed, the other should reflect the change and vice-versa.  I have created two identical boxes with identical selections, but I cannot seem to make the selection always the same. 

Are these possible, and if so how?  Any help would be appreciated.  I have the LiveCyle Designer 8 that came with Acrobat Pro 8.  I only saw boards for 6.0-7.0 and ES, so I hope I am in the right place.  Again, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Yes, you are in the right forum and both these tasks are possible. Can you attach your PDF to a post and specify exactly what you need done (in terms of the name of the text fields that you need for the runover and the matching drop-down names etc). May I ask why you cant use 1 box with multiple lines? And if not, can you limit the text input to a certain amount of characters (eg 10 or 50). That makes it easier to code.

Level 10

Check the attached PDF and tell me is this what you need?

Nith

Level 2

Darn, it is that complicated, huh?  I certainly would have uploaded the form the first time but, I work for a small company that is so strict about documents that they won't let me put it out here.  I was hoping it was easy enough to do myself with a little direction, but anything that requires coding is obviously not.  I very much appreciate your offer to help and wish I could take advantage of it.  Thanks Again.

I cannot (or don't know how) to use a single text box for what I need.  The area I need for the box(es) is just like the finishing of a sentence that continues to multiple full-legth lines after starting halfway across the page at the end of a sentence.  I hope that makes sense.  Some thing like this: ___________________________

_____________________________________________________.

Level 2

$Ninth$, that is exactly what I need for my question number two!  Is that easily completed or, does it required coding as well?  Again, I am not proficient with LiveCycle Designer yet!  Thank you for your help thus far.

Level 10

no need to write much coding as you can see them in the exit event of both drop-downs(unless your requirement is fulfilled).

-Nith

Level 2

Dallas, can you check out my attachment and see if you can help?  Until the other posting, I did not even think about the ability to cut and paste.  I know that is extremely ignorant, I sometimes still think of .pdf documents as static and forget all that they can do.

The attachement has five text boxes, the first two boxes are together and the last three are together.  I want the first box to automatically run into the second box and the second box to not allow more characters than are visible.  I want the same with the third, fourth, and fifth boxes (the third to flow into the fourth and the fourth into the fifth and to not allow more characters than are visible).

I want the first two boxes to be named "Pemitted Occupants" and the remaining boxes to be named "Additional Provisions".

Just typing this, I realize that this may be a tall order but, I would appreciate any help.  Thanks for everything thus far.