Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Combining fields on form to create a message and subject line

Level 2

I have a few fields on my form that i want to combine and create a message and subject line from.

The fields are FirstName and LastName

Using those two i want a subject saying something like 'this is a completed form fro

firstName+lastName

And something similar to a message on the email. As well as cc their email so they get a copy of the form

Is this possible

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

In my original example I have a TextField object called subjectLine. If your form does not have this object then the script will fail, because Acrobat/Reader does not know what subjectLine is (eg it is undefined).

If you look at the original example I want to build a subject line in the email using the subjectLine TextField. Therefore I first test to make sure that the subjectLine TextField is not null.

Where in your case you should be testing that FirstName and LastName are not null, as these are the two objects that you are using to create your email subject line.

So for that part of the script this is what I would expect:

// Check subject line field and extend error message

if (form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue == null)

{

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - please provide your first name and last name.";

}

else

{

vSubject = "Completed: Structure Change Form " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue;

}

Then the last block of script checks all of the options that are used to form the email and either sends the email if they are all not null or gives the user the error message:

// If fields required for script are null, warn user and do not initiate email

if (emailAddress.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue == null)

{

xfa.host.messageBox(errorMessage, "Sending an email", 0, 0); // Send out a custom error message if any of these fields are null

}

else

{

// Everything is OK, send email

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto: "+ vEmail +"?subject=" + vSubject +"&body=" + vBody + vCC,cSubmitAs:vFormat,cCharset:"utf-8"});

}

Does that make sense?

Niall

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Yes, have a look at the third example on this form (if targeting version 8.1 and below of Acrobat/Reader): http://assure.ly/dYQFb4. The is also an example targetting Acrobat/Reader version 9.1 and above: http://assure.ly/hM2A5y.

Look at the script in the custom button at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Yes, I looked at that solution but I am not really understanding it, I was hoping there was something simpler.

Level 10

Hi,

I have amended the script and created an example here: https://acrobat.com/#d=xWP6YZ63gkIHrUZjefmNcw

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Hi, your simplified script works but can you tell me what I did wrong with your more complicated one? Im just curious why it wasnt working

I got the message body to display correctly with what I want, however, the subject line won't work. I have tried all sorts of combinations and I get messages like null, null in the subject line or undefined and I just cant figure it out.

form1.p1.subSubmit.#subform[0].emailButton3::click - (JavaScript, client)

// First check if there are null values, then construct email using script

var vEmail;

var vSubject;

var vBody;

var vName;

var vCC = "";

var vFormat = subFormat.rawValue;

var errorMessage = "You have not provided enough information:"; 

// Check email address field and build error message

if (emailAddress.rawValue == null)

{

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - please provide an email address.";

}

else

{

vEmail = emailAddress.rawValue;

}

// Check if there is a cc email address inputted

if (ccEmail.rawValue != null)

{

vCC = "&cc=" + ccEmail.rawValue;

// vCC is put at the end of the mailto string because it starts with a &

}

if (subjectLine.rawValue == null)

{

vSubject = "Completed: Structure Change Form" + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue;

}

else

{

vSubject = "Completed: Form" + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue;

}

// Check your name field and extend error message

if (yourName.rawValue == null)

{

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - please provide your name.";

}

else

{

vName = form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue;

}

// Check message line field, if null build a custom body message

if (messageLine.rawValue == null)

{

vBody = "Hi, " + " \n\nAttached is a Structure Change Form completed by " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue + ". \n\nPlease double click the attachment to open our submission and review the data. \n\nThank you, \n\n" + vName;

}

else

{

vBody = messageLine.rawValue;

}

if (emailAddress.rawValue == null || subjectLine.rawValue == null || yourName.rawValue == null)

{

xfa.host.messageBox(errorMessage, "Sending an email", 0, 0); // Send out a custom error message if any of these fields are null

}

else

{

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto: "+ vEmail +"?subject=" + vSubject +"&body=" + vBody + vCC,cSubmitAs:vFormat,cCharset:"utf-8"});

}

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

In my original example I have a TextField object called subjectLine. If your form does not have this object then the script will fail, because Acrobat/Reader does not know what subjectLine is (eg it is undefined).

If you look at the original example I want to build a subject line in the email using the subjectLine TextField. Therefore I first test to make sure that the subjectLine TextField is not null.

Where in your case you should be testing that FirstName and LastName are not null, as these are the two objects that you are using to create your email subject line.

So for that part of the script this is what I would expect:

if (form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue == null)

{

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - please provide your first name and last name.";

}

else

{

vSubject = "Completed: Structure Change Form " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue + " " + form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue;

}

Then the last block of script checks all of the options that are used to form the email and either sends the email if they are all not null or gives the user the error message:

if (emailAddress.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.FirstName.rawValue == null || form1.p1.subUserInformation.LastName.rawValue == null)

{

}

else

{

}

Does that make sense?

Niall

Level 2

Ahhh yessss thats it! thank you once again.

If i want to add a phone number to the subject line I also add form1.p1.subuserinformation.phonenumber.rawValue right?

But if i want to keep the formatting to be (555) 555-5555 how do I do that? haha sorry.

Level 10

Hi,

Instead of using the .rawValue of the telephone field, use the .formattedValue.

This will bring in the data in the formatted display patterm

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

This form is great, but I only needed the firstName, so I modified it, but now it doesn't work and I can't figure out why....  is it apparent to you?  Thanks!

form1.page1.Button1::click - (JavaScript, client)

// First check if there are null values, then construct email parameters using script

var vEmail = "name@company.com";

var vSubject;

var vBody; 

var vCC = "";

var errorMessage = "You have not provided enough information:"; 

// Check email address field and build error message

// Check if there is a cc email address inputted

if (emailAddress.rawValue === null) {

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - You must provide your email address.";

}

else {

vCC = "&cc=" + emailAddress.rawValue;

// vCC is put at the end of the mailto string because it starts with a &

}

if (firstName.rawValue === null) {

errorMessage = errorMessage + "\n - please provide your first name.";

}

else {

vSubject = "This is a completed form from  " + firstName.rawValue;

vBody = "Attached is a form from " + firstName.rawValue". \n\nThank you!";

}

if (emailAddress.rawValue === null || firstName.rawValue === null) {

}

else {

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto: "+ vEmail +"?subject=" + vSubject +"&body=" + vBody + vCC,cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

}

Level 10

Sorry, gone for the day/weekend - anyone else???

Niall

Level 2

Nevermind....  I figured that part out, but now I have the email button on a different page than the fields, so now it doesn't work again.......

Level 10

Go to assuredynamics.com and search for SOM Expressions. This might help in referencing objects on different pages.

N.