Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Cant save form when it is an attachment

Level 1

I created forms using Livecycle es2.  I saved a version using Reader Extended PDF> Enable Additional Features.  When someone opens the form in Adobe Reader he/she can save the form data.  However when these forms are attachments in another pdf and opened through the attachments tab in Adobe Reader I get the message "You cannot save data typed into this form...."  and the submit button doesn't work.

If I save a blank copy of the attachment and open that up with Reader it works and saves/submits fine.  Does anyone know what is going on here?  Help is appreciated!

3 Replies

Level 10

This behavior is correct since a Reader-enabled PDF's has not the right to use the setDataObjectContents() function.

When you open an attachment out of your PDF in Reader then its path isn't the temp directory or so but a path pointing into the PDF.

This path may look like:

|/C/Users/userName/Desktop/MyPDF.pdf|U:MyAttachment.pdf

Without the rights for setDataObjectContents() you cannot save the attachment into this path even it has Reader Extensions.

So, you always have to save the attachment to the hard drive first.

Level 1

thanks for the response. I am new to all this.  Is there a work around to this?  Acrobat has no problem saving the forms when they are attachments.  Also would there be a reason why the file wouldn't save if the form was an attachment to an email?  thanks.

Level 10

Acrobat has no problem because it has the setDataObjectContents() right, but Reader doesn't.

Reader only could to this when the form has enabled by LiveCycle Reader Extensions Server, but you'll need many $$$$$$ to own such server.

So, the workaround is to save the attachment to the hard drive first, before you open, edit or save it with Reader.