Expand my Community achievements bar.

Cannot edit background pdf in designer

Former Community Member

Hello, I am attempting to add some lines of text to some pdfs with forms created in earlier versions of livecycle designer. I am opening the form in designer ES3, but it was created in 8.

I cannot modify the text of the actual PDF in the background. It will allow me to select it in preview mode, but not in design view. Please advise.

edit: In addition, I have another PC with Acrobat X and the LiveCycle that comes packaged that is able to perform these edits.

edit 2: Many options are greyed out. When I hover over them this is the message: "this type of object cannot be used in forms with pdf artwork".

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

the background artwork connot be edited by Designer, no matter which version you use.

You can edit it with Acrobat.

Former Community Member

If I try to edit in Acrobat, I get this message: "This form cannot be edited in Acrobat. Please use Adobe LiveCycle Designer to edit this form."

Tested and verified, it does work with LiveCycle Designer packaged with Acrobat X. I do not want to downgrade, but I am considering it.

Level 10

Umm,

I don't see how you could do this with Designer.

A background artwork is a rendered PDF created by Designer's import filter when you build new a form from an existing PDF file.

Except the tag structure Designer itself does not have any tools to edit PDF's, it creates XML based forms (XPD) which it can be saved as PDF files.

You may have to edit the orginally PDF file, you used once to create your form.

Former Community Member

Fixed response:

Okay, so here is what is done. In the other employees office (useding Acrobat Pro X) she can edit the original PDF using Acrobat. I cannot do that. If I try to modify document text, Acrobat XI complains. please advise.