Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Can't save PDF as Dynamic

Level 1

When I create a PDF I don't have the option in LiveCycle to save it as Acrobat Dynamic rather than Static PDF. I just worked on a PDF that I was able to re-save as Dynamic, but I didn't create the PDF so no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I know these direction have been posted before, but I can't get it to work...

In LiveCycle I open the PDF, go to File > Form Properties > Defaults and change the Target Version at the top of defaults to a later version. PDF Render format drop down menu now has Dynamic XML Form available to select. I also go to Preview Tab and change Preview from Static to Dynamic XML Form.

However, when I got to Save As, there is still no Dynamic PDF option, only Static. When I got back to the Defaults Tab in Form Properties, the PDF Render Format is back to Static and is grayed out.

Does this have something to do with how I am saving my PDFs?

7 Replies

Level 8

When you created the form did you import an existing PDF and select static PDF?  This is known as an artwork PDF and can not be dynamic.

Level 1

The form was created in MS Word than saved as a PDF. When I go to open the PDF in LiveCycle it opens as default file type "Adobe LiveCycle Designer Files (.pdf; xdp)". I can't use any other options since it's showing me what files it can open.

The dynamic form I just worked on was created the same way. Word to PDF to LiveCycle, so I know it's an option somehow.

Level 8

When you import the PDF select the option "Create an Interactive Form with Flowable Layout" on the Import Options dialogue

Level 1

Oh, I see where that is... instead of opening the PDF, select "New" and "Import PDF".

I tried that option and it comes in as a mess. The masthead dissappears and there's a billion little "rectangle" objects all over the place.

Level 10

You are better off creating the form in Designer, especially if you need a Dynamic form.

Level 9

You cant save it as Dynamic XML form unless and until you save it as a flowable form. As the form is a static one previously so all the fonts, images would be mis-alligned while you try to save it as dynamic PDF. If you really want to save it as dynamic by keeping all the look and feel of the form identical you have to design the form using LiveCycle Designer. Otherwise you can also try and saving the form as Static PDFs, but it depends which functionalities of dynamic form you want to achieve.

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Level 1

Somehow, I was able to do it. I started with a static form and was able to re-save it as dynamic when I went to Save As in LiveCycle Designer.

I worked on a form last week that was originally created in Word - a PDF was created from that, then opened in LiveCycle Designer to assign fields, etc. I was asked to make some of the fields expandable, so I re-saved it as Dynamic (why the option was available is what I'm trying to figure out). The "untitled subform page 1" was set to "positioned" as a default. I worked on it until it was at the the point where I could change that to "flowed". I wrapped all the elements in subforms that I didn't want  mis-aligned to set them to "positioned", then changed the page1 subform to "flowed" and adjusted the spacing of those with margins.

What I cannot duplicate is how to do this with other forms that already exist in the company library, created in the same way. Now that I've done it to one form, the expection is that I can make other forms dynamic. Since a whole slew of forms already exist, some of them rather involved, the option of re-create them from scratch in LiveCycle Designer isn't very realistic.