Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Can results be emailed in Form format instead of just data entries?

Level 2

I am new to LiveCycle Designer, I have created a Form that I can email to people to fill out, but would like to collect the data in the form format as opposed to just receiving data.  Is this possible?

7 Replies

Former Community Member

Instead of using the standard "Email Submit Button" from the Object Library add a standard "Button" to your form.

Click the new Button.

Open the Object Window >> Field Tab.

Change the Control Type from "Regular" to "Submit".

You will see a new "Submit" Tab appear within the Object Window.

Click the new "Submit" Tab and change "Submit As" to PDF or XDP depending upon what you would require.

In the Submit to URL field type:

LC will automatically insert body content when the button is clicked.

e.g.

"Form Returned: Test.pdf

The attached file is the filled-out form. Please open it to review the data."

Hope that helps!

Level 2

Whether I use a submit email button or a regular button as suggested earlier I am getting error message that will not complete the function.  It seems that the button is pointing to the incorrect information in the button, but I can't find the error.  Any ideas?

form email issues.png

Level 2

Is there a way to make this work if the person sending the file does not have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed.  The general "population" here just has Adobe Reader V. 9 and when I had someone test it they got the message that this function is not support with Reader 9 and will only send a data file.  Anyway around this without loading Adobe Pro on all the participants machines?

Former Community Member

You need to Reader Extend the form in Acrobat (that gives the Reader users the right to save the file locally) then distribute that Reader Extended version of your form. The way you Reader Extend the form is different depending on which version of Acrobat you are using.

Acrobat X - File/SaveAS/Reader Extended PDF

Acrobat 9 - Advanced/Extend Features in Adobe Reader

Paul

Level 2

Does that mean that the button for emailing the form won't work then? They would have to fill out the form, save it somewhere and then email it "manually"?

Former Community Member

No not at all .....to be able to email the form the file must be saved locally first. You are giving the right to be able to save the file locally. The email api is such that to be able to add an attachment you ave to pass it a file reference ...hence the need to local save. This all happens behind the scenes when you initiate the email submission.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

Yes, thanks. I will have my "testers" give it a try.