Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can i receive XML via a web service into the PDF form??

Former Community Member

hi all,  I am able to send data to a server via a web service configured in my email submit button.  Once the data has been received on the server, a reference number is sent back.  My problem starts here as the reference number comes back into my browser and not back into the PDF.  How can i get the reference number into the PDF?  Thanks  J

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

If you are truely submitting the XML via a web service then you shodul be able to bind the output of the web service to a field on your form. Did you set up a data connection pointing to a WSDL?

You say that you are submitting via a webservice in your email submit button. That makes no sense as that describes two submit operations on the same button. I suspect that you are submitting via email and that the server is responding via an HTML page ....hence the browser is intercepting and placing it on the screen (outside of your PDF).

Hope that helps

Paul

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

If you are truely submitting the XML via a web service then you shodul be able to bind the output of the web service to a field on your form. Did you set up a data connection pointing to a WSDL?

You say that you are submitting via a webservice in your email submit button. That makes no sense as that describes two submit operations on the same button. I suspect that you are submitting via email and that the server is responding via an HTML page ....hence the browser is intercepting and placing it on the screen (outside of your PDF).

Hope that helps

Paul

Former Community Member

Thank you very much for your help.

I have another question if you don't mind.

I am trying to establish a WSDL in ALCD. I establish the connection successfully and

in return i receive predefined objects such as 3 numeric fields and a button.

I drag these objects onto a new form and try to execute but nothing happens.

The first 2 objects are supposed to accept input, send it via WSDL to a server that should return

a new value back to another predefined object when the button is clicked.

I have not response when the button is clicked. It is as if there is not connection at all.

If i try and change the button to a submit button and enter the WSDL manually it tries to connect but fails.

The WSDL does work if I test it using soapUI.

Would you have any idea why this is not working?

Thanks

Joey

Former Community Member

Are you using Acrobat or Reader for your test?

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I am using Acrobat Reader 9 for my test and the

PDF preview function within ALCD.

Thanks

Former Community Member

Thats your issue ....you cannot to web service calls from Reader unless you Reader Extend the form to allow it. Acrobat does not have that restriction. You will need the Reader Extensions from LiveCycle Server to get that right. Just to validate I suggest downlaoding a trial version of Acrobat to proove that you can do what you want.

Paul

Former Community Member

im busy downloading it now.

will let you know how it go's

Thanks Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I did download it and it did function:)

Now please if you could help me with some information.

How can i get the Reader Extensions from LiveCycle Server to get it to work with Reader?

Do i need to purchase them and if so where can I do this.

I ask this because I need this functionality on reader as i cannot ask all of my clients to purchase

Acrobat.

Thanks

Joey

Former Community Member

Reader Extensions is a server based product (so you need a server to run it on). It runs on top of an appserver and a database (those can be provided for you in the install). You can download a trial version of LiveCycle on the adobe web site but as for as licensing goes ....I do not know. There are different options for that product so you wil have to speak to an Adobe account rep in your area for that.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks for your help Paul.

I am installing the ES trial version on my server now.

Will keep you updated if i need anything.

Regards

Joey

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----