Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Can I have buttons displayed when the second person opens the doc to sign?

Level 7

I have a document that I've created where I need at least one signature sometimes two. I have that working. However, if the second person signs, I have buttons I need to appear only when that second person opens there version emailed to them. I don't know how to get the buttons to appear only when the second person opens their form from their email.

Thanks,

MDawn

5 Replies

Level 6

A couple questions/comments:

1. Who emails the form to the second person? Will the form ALWAYS be sent immediately to the second person after the first person signs (if applicable)?

2. Do the buttons appear "after" the second person signs or "before" they sign (as soon as doc is opened)?

From what I can tell, the most important component will be determining when the form is opened by the "correct" person - i.e. the second person.  Computers are smart, but I think you need to make it dummy proof. Basically, you can't 100% assume that after the first person signs and closes the doc that the very next time the doc is opened that it's being opened by the second person. If so, you could probably come up with a simple solution to show the button whenever the form is opened again. But because that may not always be the case, you may have to include a manual control that verifies it's the second person opening the form, which then triggers the buttons to be revealed.

Or, maybe place the visibility of the buttons on the preSign event of the second signature. But again, that assumes no one would accidentally click on the second signature in the process.

Level 7

I've documented the process:

1. Manager completes form, and
           sends for approval.

2. When the next person opens
     the form, need a Signature field to appear with approval radio buttons.

If approved and unbudgeted, then
new set of buttons appear to send for another approval. Continue with step 3.

If approved and budgeted, display
submit to HR buttons and continue to step 5. Need different set of buttons to appear.

3. Manager in step 2, submits
     to next level for approval, When this third person opens form, need  page 2 and a signature
     field and set of buttons to submit to HR to appear.

4. Third person signs form
     and clicks submit to HR button. Continue with step 5.

5. HR receives and uses form.

Step 3 is where I need the signature field and set of buttons to appear when that manager opens the form. I have the rest of the signature fields and buttons in steps 1 and 2 working fine. I don't know how to get, page 2 signature field and buttons to display after the third manager to see them.

Thanks and I hope this helps clarify.

Margaret Dawn

Level 6

Between step 1 and 2...suppose the form is re-opened BEFORE it gets to the next person (i.e. by mistake, or by Manager to update or correct something). If you create a script that triggers the fields to become visible after the form is opened the "second" time (first by manager, next by person in step 2), you might run into issues very fast.

Can the Signature fields and approval radio buttons (in Step 2) become visible via a manual trigger by the user vs. relying on something automatic? Or better yet, if the forms MUST go to the second person (in Step 2)no matter what...why not just have those fields visible by default?

In Step 2, if approved and unbudgeted...I would write a script that would reveal the next set of buttons IF those specific conditions are met before the form is sent to the next Approving party. Same thing if "approved and budgeted".  Thus, it's a set of if/then statements.

Overall, I'm just wondering why the need to hide the buttons until the form is opened by the next person? To me, that makes this process very tricky and unpredictable given the fact that you can't really plan for human error (i.e if the form is programmed with ridged conditional scripts, but fail if the form opened out of sequence). If everyone is on board with the process and understand the workflow, why not reveal the correct buttons as soon as the previous user meets the criteria.

Level 7

I had not considered the solution this way, because one set of buttons only is needed if the project is unbudgeted and approved. I'm thinking your solution is better and I will work that direction.

Thanks for all your help,

MDawn

Level 6

No problem. Hope it works out for you.

Re"I had not considered the solution this way, because one set of buttons only is needed if the project is unbudgeted and approved"...you can always determine which set of buttons are revealed via your if/then script. I think that will save you a lot of headaches

Blessings