Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can fixed subform span multiple pages?

Level 1

I have a multipage form in which the data will be exported to XML. When the data is imported to Access, each named subform becomes a table within the database.  My problem is that I have some data groups which need to be split, ie one section starts on Page 2 and continues onto Page 3.  I tried giving both subforms the same name, but the second section gets dropped.  I had to wrap each section in its own subform with different names and then the data is imported as 2 separate tables and I would really like to just create one.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Yes you can, but there is a method.

Instead of putting the second subform on page2, place it on page1. Then once page1 is full LC Designer will create a new instance of page1 for the overflow.

Basically when you look at the hierarchy you will see one page (eg page1), but when you look at the design view there will be two physical pages.

Does that help?

Niall

Level 1

I understand what you are saying, but there is physically no room for me to do that.  See my screen shots where section title Quality Improvement spans 2 pages.

Q_2.JPG

Q_3.JPG

Level 10

Sorry, I didn't explain properly.

To achieve this you would need the page set to Flowed (Object > Subform).

You appear to have objects already inside subforms, so you would just need to make minor amendments to margins and size. Also please note that the form must be saved as a Dynamic XML Form in the Save-as dialog.

But at least this way you can then get objects to span pages easily.

This form explores the difference between Positioned and Flowed layouts: http://assure.ly/eSGQMt.

There is a form here that explores making dynamic tables. This is not necessarily what you are trying to do here, but it does include screen shots for working towards a flowed layout: http://assure.ly/gk8Q7a.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really help.  I set page 1 to flowed with my positioned subform wrapped inside and then my subforms get jammed together and I lose the ability to add additional fields/sections at the end of the subform since the flowed content area does not allow you drag the bottom out to place more objects.  Since my form design really needs to be fixed, the only way I can resolve this is to name the subforms that span more than one page separately and then join them in a view after each subform is imported.