Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Call web service by pressing a button in PDF

Former Community Member

Dear all,

Now i create one adobe form with one button on it which will link to one web service via WSDL and get the response.

It works fine in my laptop since i install Acrobat PRO, but it doesn't work in another PC which only install basis adobe reader.

i check below posts, Srini mentioned it required  Reader Extensions server component. but i have no idea about Reader Extensions server component.Now the PDF is extensioned, so the save fuction is ok.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643978#2643978

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2837159#2837159

Also, I wonder if it possible to achieve below scenario.

1. the responsible people create the PDF form,reader extension it and then send it to users.

2. Users use Basis Adobe Reader to fill the information and click button to call the web service

Could anyone share some experience? any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

27 Replies

Level 9

Hi,

Yes. Your two points are right. The forms need to be reader extended first. For making a form reader extended you can use Acrobat Pro and ReaderExtension server. But making Reader Extension with Acrobat has some limitation. You can make a reader extend a form upto 500 times. Beyond that the form will not work. If you have less number forms and user base is small then Acrobat Pro might help.

Secondly, the user should fill the form as a basic Adobe Reader as it's free. Any user who has Acrobat can also fill it.

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

Thanks for your reply.

As you mention above,making Reader Extension with Acrobat has some limitation, could you pls tell me how to extenion it so that user can click the button using basis adobe reader.

it is ReaderExtension server a tool? i can't get any information from internet.

Thanks so much.

Level 9

Hi,

RightsManagement is one of many services that run on a LiveCycle server. You can purchase this service separately from Adobe instead of going for all services. As it runs on a serve by the use of a link you will be able to see a form. By there you can upload your PDFs that required to be reader extended. There will be many options available for reader extension. Like FormFilling, Submitting, 2D barcodes etc. Choose this if you have a large customer base.

If you choose to use Acrobat Pro then also you can easily make forms ReaderExtended. If you can say me the particular version of Acrobat Pro you are using I can say you the steps.

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

Thanks for your further information.

my version is 11.

could you tell me the steps?

thanks

Level 9

Hi,

I do not have Acrobat - XI. I have Acrobat 9, X. In Acrobat X the steps is : Open the PDF in Acrobat then click : File> SaveAs> ReaderExtendedPDF - Enable Additional Features. Look for similar kind of options in XI. As I have not used it. I can not comment on it.

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

I have extended the PDF as you mention, but it doesn't work in the PC installing Basis Adobe Reader.

Before that,it doesn't work in my friend's PC, after he installed Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, it works, but it is impossible to ask all the user to install it.

I guess if i can install Adobe Acrobat XI Pro in one PC then extension the PDF, then other user will owe the summitting function using Basis Adobe Reader.

Thanks.

Level 9

Hi,

If you make the form reader extended, it should work in all Adobe reader. No need to instal Acrobat XI in every one's machine. I guess there might be some problem in making it reader extended. Look for any technical help. I am really sorry as I do not have Acrobat XI I can not help you much.

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

seems the menu is a little different between what you say, I click 'Enable More Tools(includes form fill-in & save), i can't find File> SaveAs> ReaderExtendedPDF - Enable Additional Features.

Save as.PNG

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

My adobe version is Adobe Acrobat XI Pro trials, does it limit some functions, such as submitting?

I can't ask each end-user to purchase Acrobat. Is there any solution?

Many thanks.

Level 9

Not sure if they have some sorts of limitations in trial version. Have you smade the forms reader extended? Are they working as expected?

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Hi Nayak,

Maybe there is some limitations in trial version.

If possible, could you pls give me your private email so that i can send you my test PDF? After extended, you can send it back to me.

If the submitting button works in the basis adobe reader, i am sure the trial version is limited,then i can move on to persuade the user to purchase one.

Of course, if you are not available, i will say thank you all the same.

My email:  zepeng0103@163.com.

Thanks.

Former Community Member

Hi Bibhu,

I have sent you two test files.

Thank you so much.

Level 6

Acrobat is not capable of enabling a document with the particular usage right that will allow web service calls to work with Reader. Acrobat can only include a subset of what LiveCycle Reader Extensions is capable of adding.

Former Community Member

Hi Johnson,

The file Bibhu sent to me works well in the Basis Adobe Reader, seems this limitation comes from the trial version.

Hi Bibhu,

The pdf works fine and it can get the response correctly.

I have replied you in the email, thanks sooooooooooo much.

Level 6

That's odd, because Acrobat cannot add the FormOnline usage right, which should be necessary for what you're doing to work. The trial version of Acrobat works just like the licensed version (it's the same app) with respect to enabling. I'd be interested in looking at the enabled document if you want to send it to me: acroscript at gmail dot com

Level 9

Hi  George,

I have used ReaderExtension to make the forms reader extended. I was just trying to see whether it works in reader perfectly or not. But I am also confused why acrobat reader extension does not work for webservice call. Could you please explain why does this happen?

Thanks,

Bibhu.

Level 6

Acrobat can extend a document, but it cannot add as many usage rights as LiveCycle Reader Extensions can. In particular it cannot add the FormOnline usage right which is required for web service and database connectivity with Reader. This is detailed more in the following blog post: http://blogs.datalogics.com/2012/11/26/does-adobe-reader-xi-change-reader-extensions-usefulness/

Also, you stated this earlier: "But making Reader Extension with Acrobat has some limitation. You can make a reader extend a form upto 500 times. Beyond that the form will not work."

It does not work that way, an extended form will not stop working. It is true that the Acrobat License Agreement limits (to 500 max) the number of times the licensee can extract data from instances of an enabled form (including hardcopies) that have been returned to the licensee, but only if the enabled document is distributed to more than 500 recipients.

Former Community Member

Hi Johnson,

I amn new in Adobe and I have no idea about Acrobat.

Hi Bibhu,

Could you pls explain the step and version? I want to do it in my local PC.

Thanks.

Level 6

The point I'm trying to make is that Acrobat cannot enable a form so that web service calls will work with Reader, as you have seen when you tried it. Bibhu used LiveCycle Reader Extensions to enable your form, which is why it works with Reader.