Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Calculate age (years and months) from two dates

Level 1

Am trying get the (near accurate) age in years and months to populate in "Age on date of retirement" (Age1) from the date of birth (DOB1) and the date they retired (retireDate1). The only examples I've been able to find are for "today" dates. Can someone help with code? And I understand it works best with JavaScript but would FormCalc work also?

Dates are set as MM/DD/YYYY

Age field is num{z9}

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

I was able to make this work with Age1 as a text field. Of course, you can do whatever you want with it, but this method made the most sense to me since I can say "99 years 99 months". If you need to separate the year and month into different fields, you should be able to do so easily. Lastly, this requires that the user does not manually enter the dates. (Something about the raw values isn't quite right when they're entered versus being selected.)

Age1::calculate (or wherever you'd like to have this event)

if (!DOB1.isNull && !retireDate1.isNull){

var d1 = DOB1.rawValue.split('-');

var d2 = retireDate1.rawValue.split('-');

var years = parseInt(d2[0]) - parseInt(d1[0]);

var months = (parseInt(d2[1]) - parseInt(d1[1]));

if (parseInt(months) < 0){

months = 12 + months;

years--;

}

Age1.rawValue = years + " years " + months + " months.";

}

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 7

I was able to make this work with Age1 as a text field. Of course, you can do whatever you want with it, but this method made the most sense to me since I can say "99 years 99 months". If you need to separate the year and month into different fields, you should be able to do so easily. Lastly, this requires that the user does not manually enter the dates. (Something about the raw values isn't quite right when they're entered versus being selected.)

Age1::calculate (or wherever you'd like to have this event)

if (!DOB1.isNull && !retireDate1.isNull){

var d1 = DOB1.rawValue.split('-');

var d2 = retireDate1.rawValue.split('-');

var years = parseInt(d2[0]) - parseInt(d1[0]);

var months = (parseInt(d2[1]) - parseInt(d1[1]));

if (parseInt(months) < 0){

months = 12 + months;

years--;

}

Age1.rawValue = years + " years " + months + " months.";

}

Level 1

I keep getting an error, I've set Age1 as a text field, and the other two are date/time.  Hmmm. I may just put this down for a bit and attack it again with a clear head. I am hoping that whatever code I use, the user would be able to enter the (formatted) date - MM/DD/YYYY in the date/time fields., but I'm flexible. 

I was trying to modify the below to fit my needs, but I know it's missing something, alas.

if (HasValue(DOB1)) then

if (HasValue(retireDate1)) then

var retireDate1_ = Date2Num(retireDate1.formattedValue, "MM/DD/YYYY")

var DOB1_ = Date2Num(DOB1.formattedValue, "MM/DD/YYYY")

var diff = retireDate1_ - DOB1_

$.rawValue = Floor(diff / 365.25)

else

$.rawValue = null

endif

else

$.rawValue = null

endif

I'd be thrilled with just calculating years and forget about the months :-/

Level 7

Can the other two fields be changed to date fields instead of date/time?

What error are you getting with your current script?

Level 7

Also, I used your script and set the event language to formCalc. It works just fine to get the years. I think there's just some coding logic + math required to get the leftover bits from what floor rounded off and multiply by 1200 (or something).

Level 7

if (HasValue(DOB1) and HasValue(retireDate1)) then

var retireDate1_ = Date2Num(retireDate1.formattedValue, "MM/DD/YYYY")

var DOB1_ = Date2Num(DOB1.formattedValue, "MM/DD/YYYY")

var diff = retireDate1_ - DOB1_

var years = Floor(diff / 365.25)

var months = Floor(((diff / 365.25) - Floor(diff / 365.25)) * 15.21)

$ = Concat(years, " years ", months, " months.")

else

$ = null

endif

Level 1

GENIUS!!! At first it didn't quite work for me, it showed zero values but did show this: 0 years 0 months. BUT then I looked at their patterns, one of the cells was not set for the MM/DD/YYYY format - uh der. I am so forever grateful to you and your brain. I may have one more problem I'm trying to work out, separate from this, but I'll start a different conversation.

Again, thank you!!