Expand my Community achievements bar.

bandwidth usage scenario / cost projections

Level 4

i'm trying to build cost projections for LCCS, assuming users are connected hub and spoke.

here's a typical scenario i'm calculating.  can someone from the LCCS team have a look and comment?

four users in an audio / video conference for one hour.  240 x 180 capture, default framerate of 6fps.

video:

240 x 180 = 42 kilobits

42 kilobits per frame x 6fps = 252 kbps

audio:

audioPub.microphoneManager.encodeQuality = 6, so 20kbs

total video + audio ~= 270 kbps per user

four users hub and spoke, so each user is putting out one stream, and taking in 3 streams.

so each user is consuming 270kbits * 4 = 1080kbps

there are four users, so in total the conference is consuming 1080kbps * 4 = 4320kbps

the conference lasts for an hour.  3600 seconds * 4320kbps = 15552000 kilobits or about 1.8 gigabytes.

LCCS pricing states $0.49 / GB

so the total cost for this scenario is $0.88

can some LCCS people confirm my math?  and are my video / audio bitrates near the average case?

thanks for the help in advance.

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi there,

Your formula seems about right, although I think you might want to refine

your kbps rates by running a quick test app at the settings you intend to

use, and then using the "logs" tab of the room console to watch bandwidth

utilization.

nigel

Level 4

thanks nigel.  how can i force hub and spoke to make this happen?  is there a property somewhere that i can turn p2p off?

Former Community Member

Setting cSession.streamManager.maxP2PStreamPublish to 0 should do the

trick.

nigel

Level 4

i tried that setting, but p2p connections are still happening. the user descriptors show p2p = true, and watching the room console shows very little data usage. i also tried connecting 4 instances of the app and have four video streams going, but the room console is only showing trivial bandwidth.  what am i doing wrong here?  are there any other settings i should be aware of?