Expand my Community achievements bar.

Avoiding Saving-Window when signing?

Level 2

Hello Everybody!

I have one question. Is it possible to avoid the emerging window that appears when you put your sign in the signing field?

I want to save my document ONLY via a Saving-button, not when signing.

Thanks for yout time,

Javier

3 Replies

Former Community Member

I struggle with this also and have found no solution yet.  Our users use machines are used by multiple shifts and I don't want any forms saving locally. I would love to implement digital signing but forcing a save kills that idea.

Level 10

Hi,

I am fairly sure that you cannot alter/turn off this feature.

The signing process creates a copy of the form, which is embedded in the PDF. This allows you to look back at the state of the form at each signing.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 2

Hi again:

Here is where I found the answer.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2645114#2645114

Steven Madwin, Adobe Employee says:

It may be more cumbersome in version 8 (and 9), but it's safer. In version 7 and earlier when you signed, Acrobat did everything in memory. You weren't prompted to save the file to disk until you wanted to close the file. The problem is computer memory is where the bad guys get into to make changes. The majority of computer vulnerabilities occur when the hacker escapes the allotted memory space (aka buffer overflows) and reads and writes to memory address that they shouldn't be in. Think of memory being divided up like a row of houses along a block. The bad guy gets out of his house and into yours, and that's where bad things happen.

Beginning with version 8, signature operation all take place on disk, not in memory. It's slower, and as you pointed out it's more cumbersome, but it's safer. The file is committed to disk (the hard drive) before the signature is created and the signed bytes cannot be manipulated in the middle of the signing procedure.

Interestingly (at least to me), when we had this discussion four or five years ago when the change was made, the example used was of mortgage contact being signed where any of the terms could be changed in memory prior to the signature being completed. It was just a bunch of geeky engineers sitting around a table discussing possible vulnerabilities with the current signing operation (i.e. signing in memory). To see the theoretical example in actual use is kind of exciting (granted I don't get out much ).

Steve

I hope it helps you in the future!