Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Autonumber that increases whenever form is opened

Level 2

I have a very detailed form that I created in Acrobat 9 that has an autonumber field that increases by one everytime that it opens. I need to change some things on the form, so I want to work on it in LC ES. I am unable to find how to make this autonumber script in LC that automatically increases when opening the form. I have found things that you have to save over the original form in order for it to work. Basically it will live on a local machine. The person will open up the original form (which then increases by one from their last number) fill in all of the information, then save as a different name. Can anyone help with this? I used this reference to do the autonumber in Acrobat 9 http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/AcumenJournal_Aug2004.pdf

Thanks!

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

If the form had a reset button would the user be able to save over the original form?  If not I think you would need to access a value on a server, either with GET/PUT, a webservice or a data base connection.

Regards

Bruce

Level 2

Hi Bruce,

The form won’t have a reset button, and it would be best if they didn’t save over the original form, but did a save as (each time they fill in the form will be for a different client). Would I be able to house a local Excel spreadsheet to act as a “data base” that they can pull numbers from?

Thanks,

Scott

Level 10

Hi Scott,

I am not sure,  you may be able to do this sort of thing with a script installed on clients machine.  Otherwise the Adobe security policy limits access to the local machine.

I understand if a script file is placed in the Javascripts directory under the Reader install directory then it can have more access to the locall machine,  but don't know if this includes reading and writing to the file system.

Bruce

Level 2

Bruce,

Thanks for your help. I will check it out to see if it works or not.

Take care,

Scott