Expand my Community achievements bar.

Auto size of text in a Rich Text field

Level 1

Hi All,

I understand the procedure for having text automatically resize to fit into a text field when the field is in plain text format (i.e.: set the font size to 0) but is there any way for this to be done for a rich text format? My field allows multiple lines and is also limited to the visible area.

Just to point out that I am not a programmer of any description (have a simple understanding of visual basic) and am a novice in designing forms so would appreciate answers in layman's english

Many thanks!

Mark

Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.05

5 Replies

Level 10

I see two contradicting points in your question..

1. Your field is set to "Allow Multiple Lines" and "Limit Length to Visible Area".

2. Then you want the field to Automatically resize to the data in it..

If you set your field to "Limit Length to Visible Area", then the field will only display the data that can fit into it based on its Height and Width.

But your requirement is to Auto size the field based on the data, you need to Uncheck the above setting. And under Layout Tab, check the checkbox for "expand to Fit" under Height. That way, your field can expand to fit the data at the runtime.

Hope this helps.. if you still have issues let me know..

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Hi Srini,

I actually want to do the opposite!

1.     The field size is to remain as it is set (cannot expand either by width or length)

2.     Text needs to resize as it fills the field

3.     Would like to be able to do this with rich text formatting (i.e.: allowing the use of bold, italics, underline, etc)

I have performed the following:

A.     Text field is marked to allow multiple lines

B.     Text field is marked to limit length to visible area

C.     Text size is set at 0pt

D.     Text formatting is set to rich text in both the field tab and binding tab

This unfortunately does not work! If the formatting is set to plain text, the I can do it but would like the rich text formatting option.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Mark

Level 1

From the hunting about that I have done, I'm guessing that it is not possible to have text auto size in a rich text field but only in a plain text field...

Level 1

Not being able to do this massively inhibits the flexibility of forms. How do we get it changed?