Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Are date/time fields accessible? I dont think so but hopefully im wrong

Level 4

We are modifying our existing forms to be accessible (WCAG 2.0).  We have date/time fields that bring up the calendar but to be accessible we should be able to navigate without the mouse.

calendar.JPG

We are able to bring up the calendar via alt+Down Arrow

To move between days we can navigate with the left/right/up/down arrow.

To move between months we can use page up/down

BUT

how do we move between years?  Other accessible calendars allow this navigation via alt+page up/down.  im not sure if this is a standard but i noticed that on Reader, it doesnt do anything.  Is there a way to bring this up via keyboard?  By mouse id click the month, year above the calendar and then click the year to bring this up.

calYear.JPG

So is there a keyboard way of navigating between the years? 

Is there a standard?

There are many times where id want to select a date in the far past eg. birth date.

BTW, i tested this with Reader X and developed the form with Designer ES (v8.2)

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

the date picker is a widget from the current OS and there seems to be no way to enter the upper levels of that widget to select another year; when it is executed within Acrobat/Reader.

Under Windows 7 you generally can use Ctrl + Up to select the upper levels of the date picker (months, years, decades), but not so within a PDF.

But you still can enter the date with the keyboard, so this is not such big barrier.