i've been working all day and playing back the same archives successfully. suddenly, they're not loading and i'm not getting any kind of error messages. the archives do exist on my webdav server, new archives are being stored there successfully. i just can't play them back now, and i have no information on why they're not playing back.
the trace (with my account details redacted) is as follows. i can send a private message to an adobe employee with my account details if tha'ts required to look into this.
first i need to find out why this is happening, then i need to know if there's a way an error message can be reported back to my app.
one thing i did do was modify a node through the LCCS Air app. it was a simple custom node where i changed persistItems from true to false.
thanks for resolving this raff. let me take this opportunity to vote for an error event to be made available to the client when this situation arises in the future. either way, thanks for the quick response and action.