Expand my Community achievements bar.

$. and $record. Same XML schema

Level 1

Hi all,

I'm new to Livecycle Designer and just trying to find my way through it at the moment.

However, I have created two forums using the same XML Schema as the dataconnections. When I create fields in each form one binds the field using $. and the other binds using $record. !?

Any idea why this is ?

Thanks for any help!

Conal

4 Replies

Former Community Member

If  there is a subform above the node that is bound the relative path of $. is used meaning  that this binding is relative to the one above it. If you use an absolute binding (no nodes above it were bound) the the $record. is used

Make sense?

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it does make sense. However, what I have is two forms which are identical and use exactly the same XML schema as their data connections. In one form all the bindings use $. and in the other $record.

A problem occurs when I create a Fragment using the same XML Schema as a datasource. The fragment uses $. for all the bindings and not $record. When I insert the Fragment into the form which uses $record. it appears as a different connection. If I insert the fragment into the form which uses $.it is fine.

Does than make sense ?

Actually, if I delete the data connection and create the same data connection again it removes the $record and replace it with $.. Sometimes however it reverts back to $record and I have to create the data connection again.

All suggestions welcome !

Thanks for the help !

Conal

Former Community Member

If you want to use fragments with binding then you must make sure that your fragment is set up for relative binding. In the fragment bind your root node to the appropriate node in your schema then bind the rest of your fields (they will all use relative binding). Now when you import the fragment into your main form you are only allowed to manipulate the subform that contains the fragment. Bind this back to the same node that the root of the fragment used and all else is relative so you will be good to go.

Does that help?

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

That certainly helps. Let me see if I can work with that.

Much appreciated ! Thanks for your time.

Conal