Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

alt text and accessibility checker on Acrobat Pro conflicts with Live Cycle

Level 1

I've created my form in Live cycle ES2 and brought it into Adobe Acrobat Pro X to run accessibility checks. What I have found is that the tab order seems to be re-arranged contrary to how it was set up in Live Cycle. When I use the read-aloud option the reading order is the way it was set up in Live Cycle. I am unable to use the touch-up reading order tool in Adobe Acrobat Pro. I am also unable to create alt text on an image (logo in the top corner) placed in a pdf document using Live Cycle (just using tooltip in the Accessibility menu for this part) or Acrobat Pro. As an alternative, I included the text from the logo (institution name) in the header of the document. The screen reader ignores the image. The full check accessibility tool keeps flagging the image but does not allow me to alter the alt text. It also seems to ignore the tag made in Live Cycle (tooltip in accessibility tool). Any advice you can give me on how to address the alt text and the issue with the accessibility full checker would be very helpful.

2 Replies

Level 3

I am pretty sure it is impossible to make an accessible form with LiveCycle Designer, and equally impossible to make it accesible later in Acrobat. They just can't be accessible. Love to be proved wrong.

Level 1

Live Cycle automatically tags your fields and helps you set your tab order. Like, I said when I use the screen reader tool everything works the way it was designed in Live cycle in terms of the reading order (but it ignores the image).

The only issue I have is that the accessibility tool checker in acrobat pro keeps flagging one item, the top logo and won't allow me to enter alt text. As a workaround I included the text for the logo (institution name) on the page. I would like to edit the alt text either in live cycle or acrobat pro, or any program that will let me do it.

I worked on another document in Indesign and then brought it into live cycle to add some fillable fields with tags. The file has a large image in the background. When brought that file into acrobat pro and it actually allowed me to edit the alt text for the image. It seems like a really long way to get this end result, so I would appreciate a simpler solution that could address the alt text issue.