Expand my Community achievements bar.

Allow text field to expand to create new page(s)

Level 3

I'm designing a form, and need what seems like a simple thing:  a text field that is not limited by size, and that will not simply turn into a scrollable field when the text exceeds its original size.  Rather, when applicants enter text that exceeds the original size of the field, I want the field to be continued on the next page (preferably with a new header that says "Section 7 (continued)" or the like).

I've been digging around for a while, but not identified any help or discussions that will assist me.  I'd be very appreciative if someone could at least point me in the right direction, or let me know that this is impossible.

Thanks,

Tom

4 Replies

Former Community Member
There are a couple of ways to solve that issue:
1. Limit the amount of text to the viewable area so that the user cannot add more than is available in the space provided. There is a checkbox on the Object palette that controls this.
2. There is a setting that you can use that will shrink the font in the field as it tries to overflow so that the text wil always be visible. In teh Font palette set the font size to 0 and make sure that your field is set for mullti-line. If the user enters too much information the font size can become so small that it becomes unreadable.
3. You can redesign your form to make the field grow based on the amount of text the user enters. This re-layout of the form will not happen until you exit the field. This is dynamic form capability that needs to be designed for. This option is useful when you have no idea how much text the user will enter. There is a good example of this very feature that ships with the product. Look at the comments field on the dynamic interactive purchase order samle found in:
Designer Install Directory/EN\Samples\Forms\Purchase Order\Dynamic Interactive\Forms
Hope that helps
Paul

Level 3

Sorry, I found discussions that address this.  Many discussions are about this subject, but do not actually answer the problem, so I'll summarize the various guidance from the helpful discussions that I found here:

= = = = = = =

Basic Setup (borrowed from someone else, but I can't remember who)

= = = = = = =

First, you have to save the documend as a dynamic PDF, not a static PDF.  That's important.  Then, when you set up your document as described below, the field will expand across pages ONLY after you tab out of the entry field.

= = = = = = =

Form Design (borrowed from Steven Dayton)

= = = = = = =

On my first page I have a sub form and within that sub form I have another sub form that contains an expandable text field. The specs for the parent sub form is as follows:

Object tab > Subform tab > Type: = Flow Content.
Object tab > Subform tab > Allow Page Breaks within Content is checked.

Object tab > Pagination tab > After: = Continue Filling Parent.

Object tab > Binding tab > Repeat Subform for Each Data Item is checked and Min Count is set to 1.

Layout tab > Auto-fit for the Height is checked.

The specs for the subform inside the parent sub form is as follows:

Object tab > Subform tab > Type: = Position Content.
Object tab > Subform tab > Allow Page Breaks within Content is checked.

Object tab > Pagination tab > After: = Continue Filling Parent.

Object tab > Binding tab > Repeat Subform for Each Data Item is checked and Min Count is set to 1.

Layout tab > Auto-fit for the Height is checked.

The specs for the expandable text field is as follows:

Object tab > Field tab > Allow Multiple Lines and Allow Plain Text Only check boxes are both checked.

Layout tab > Expand to fit check box for the Height is checked only.

I have recently posted a question about how to get an overflow leader to show up only on overflow pages.  Don't have the answer yet, but you can search for it later if this is something that you might want also (as I imagine most people would).

Level 10

Hi tadobeee, did you figure out a resolution to adding "continued" to the overflow leader in subsequent pages?

Or anyone else have an idea?

I have an overflow leader setup that works. But it would be really nice to be able to get the leader to change on following pages.

Level 1

This is fantastic.  I have been ripping my hair out trying to tackle this issue and now I'm good.  Thanks so much!!!!