Expand my Community achievements bar.

Allow insert page in Form without requiring Password

Level 1

I've created a form in LC and publish it as .pdf, then I open form, fill it out and attempt to add another page to supplement the content of the form and I select Document -> Insert -> ...............  the options are grayed out!!

Researching in LC help I get direction to the "Form Properties" Dialogue and to set a password to RESTRICT editing....I don't want to restrict editing I want to enable editing and in particular additonal page/file insertion into the forms I am creating without a password....

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

The issue doesn't have anything to do with passwords or restricting editing.

When you create a form in LC Designer you are creating an XFA Form, which is wrapped up in a PDF wrapper. The user can open the form using Acrobat or Reader and does not see anything particularly different.

However an XFA Form is a completely different animal to a native PDF document. This is why there are quite a few features/functions that would normally be available in a native PDF, that are not available when an XFA Form is opened.

For example, you cannot use the Acrobat menu to insert a page into an XFA Form.

However you can include a button on your form that will create a new instance of a page (using script).

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Thanks for the detailed response I understand what you describe and the limits. 

I still need a solution and so a refinement of my question - the form I've created is a Corrective Action Request form with basic CAR entry fields, however, once the CAR Form is pulled and data gets loaded into and it is saved with a different document name (specific to the CAR) I was trying to add a second .pdf page that I received from another source as it is referenced in the Containment phase of the CAR process; hence my need to 'insert page'.  I am looking to bundle all the documents associated with the CAR instead of shipping out multiple documents.  I understand that I could 'print' the form to .pdf then attach the reference files, however, there are others that need to fill in the fields of the CAR Form after I do the initial generation and assignment to an owner.

Do you have any thoughts on how best to get the documents all into one file and still be in a position to leverage the LC form I created??

Thanks

Level 10

Hi,

You could add of the XFA Forms into an Acrobat portfolio.

You can have the forms in the main view or you could group them by subject in folders.

If users have Acrobat, then they can add more files to the portfolio.

The advantage here is that each XFA form is standalone and you are not trying to merge one form into another.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics