Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Alert emails to a non standard SMTP port

Level 2

Is it possible to configure LiveCycle ES 8.2 to send its alert emails to an SMTP server on a non standard port?  In the AdminUI there is a field for the server but not for the port.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Jon

The ability to configure a non-standard port in the AdminUI was added in ES2.

There is a workaround that you can use in 8.2.1.

In the Processes view under Process Management, open the process called Email Notification.

You will see 3 services:

1. Send no attachments

2. Send Mail

3. Send With Map Of Attachments

On the properties of each service, on the Connection Settings tab, look for SMTP Port Number.

You'll notice that it is hard coded to 25.

Change it to whatever port you need for your SMTP server.

Your Task Notifications will now be sent using that port.

Diana

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Jon

The ability to configure a non-standard port in the AdminUI was added in ES2.

There is a workaround that you can use in 8.2.1.

In the Processes view under Process Management, open the process called Email Notification.

You will see 3 services:

1. Send no attachments

2. Send Mail

3. Send With Map Of Attachments

On the properties of each service, on the Connection Settings tab, look for SMTP Port Number.

You'll notice that it is hard coded to 25.

Change it to whatever port you need for your SMTP server.

Your Task Notifications will now be sent using that port.

Diana

Level 2

Hello Diana,

Thank you for the reply.  I was not able to find the settings you indicated below.  I may not be looking in the correct location.  I am looking in AdminUI under Home > Services > LiveCycle Process Management ES > Process List

I see the Email Notification - 1.0 process and it is listed as Active. But clicking on the process does not show me any services.

Is there another location to look in?

Thanks,

Jon

Former Community Member

Hi Jon

Sorry about that.

You need to change these settings in the Email Notification process in Workbench.

Diana

Level 2

I just realized that too :-). Thank you again for the help.

Level 2

Hello Diana,

I tested that change and it didn't work.  No matter what I set the port to in the Email Notification workflow my stall messages still try to go to port 25.  I even tried deactivating the Email Notification workflow and it still produced the same error.  This makes me think the stall messages are not trying to use the Email Notification workflow.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jon

Former Community Member

Hi Jon

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Task Notifications not Administrator Notifications.

Changing the port in the Email Notifications process will work for Task Notifications.

Administrator Notifications use the Java mail default, which is port 25 unless otherwise specified on your system.

Are you using the JBoss Turnkey?

if so, you can try this:

1. Navigate to C:\Adobe\LiveCycle8.2\jboss\server\all\deploy

2. Locate the properties-service.xml file.

3. uncomment the following block and set the property as follows:

<!--
       | Set raw properties file style properties. -->

<attribute name="Properties">   

smtp.mail.port =<your port #>

</attribute>

4. You don't need to restart JBoss.

The only downside is that this is now the smtp port for that server and any other apps on that server.

If you can live with that, it's an easy workaround.

Diana

Level 2

We are using pre-configured JBoss and that property is not in the properties-service.xml.  Can I just add it?

Thanks,

Jon

Level 2

nm :-)  I just didn't read your reply thoroughly enough.

Of course I have to add the porperty.

Thanks again for the quick reply.  I will try it out and let you know my result.

Jon

Level 2

Hello Diana,

I added the property, but it looks like it is ignoring it.  It still tried to send to the default port 25.

The smtp.email.port property does not show up in the boot.log in the Full System Properties Dump section.  However, it does show up in the jboss administration console on the JBoss System Properties page.

Thanks,

Jon

Former Community Member

Hi Jon

My bad!

The string for the properties file is mail.smtp.port=<port number>

I reversed mail and smtp.

Diana

Level 2

Diana,

That fixed it.  Thanks for all your help.

Jon

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----