Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Adobe Reader cannot save..just print the form

Level 1

Hi friends

If this is the wrong post place...sorry.

Hope you can help me.

I made a simple form using LiveCycle Designer ES2. When finished I saved normally as PDF.

When sending via e-mail or copying to another computer...I´m opening the PDF in Adobe Reader to test if it works. All the fields are ok (I used simple fields, no JavaScript).

But Adobe Reader shows a message that the current form cannot be saved. If I want I could print to have a filled copy of the form.

What I´m missing?

How could I make the PDF opened by Adobe Reader and be able to save without problem?

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Gustavo,

You open the form in Acrobat and then depending on which version of Acrobat you have you go to the Advanced menu OR the File menu. The summary PDF at the link has screenshots for Acrobat version 9.

Here is the option for Acrobat X:

Acrobat2.png

Please note that there are license restrictions - see the EULA.

Niall

Message was edited by: Niall O\'Donovan cal457 is right - In version 9 it is from the Advanced menu.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Former Community Member

You need to go into the Advanced settings and Extend Features in Adobe Reader.  This allows for you to edit and save the form in Adobe Reader.

Note: anytime you make changes to the form in LiveCycle Designer, you will need to re-save with the extended features from Acrobat

Level 10

Hi,

This is expected behaviour! In order for a form to be saved by users with the free Adobe Reader, the form first has to be Reader Enabled.

See a description here and a summary of the functionality that is available depending on whether the form is Reader Enabled or not AND how the form was Reader Enabled (using Acrobat OR the LiveCycle Reader Extensions server component).

http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/2010/11/using-livecycle-forms-in-acrobat-and-reader/.

Deploy Options 02 - Save.png

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Hi cal457 and Nial

Thank you a lot for the answers.

Could you describe me where is the place I could enable to users save from Adobe Reader ?

I´m with my form opened in Live Cycle Designer ES2 (sorry I´m very beginner user).

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.

Former Community Member

You should find it in Adobe Acrobat.  In the pre Acrobat X it will be on the toolbar under "Advanced" and in Acrobat X it is in the "Save As" commmands I believe.  I only have Acrobat 9, so I can't be sure.

Nial might know of another way, but I only know of using Acrobat since all I have is it and LiveCycle Designer

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Gustavo,

You open the form in Acrobat and then depending on which version of Acrobat you have you go to the Advanced menu OR the File menu. The summary PDF at the link has screenshots for Acrobat version 9.

Here is the option for Acrobat X:

Acrobat2.png

Please note that there are license restrictions - see the EULA.

Niall

Message was edited by: Niall O\'Donovan cal457 is right - In version 9 it is from the Advanced menu.

Level 1

Perfect cal457 and Nial

Thank you very much. It worked

Best Regards

Gustavo

Level 1

Now, i checked, Adobe Reader Extension only avaiable in Adobe Reader Pro version

Level 10

Hi,

just to clarify things.

1. There is no Adobe Reader Pro Version. There is either the free Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro.

2. Acrobat can add a handful of additional rights to a PDF (like saving changes). LiveCycle Reader Extensions can add a few more (like attaching files).