Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Adobe LiveCycle no longer opens/starts on my PC

Level 2

It has worked fine for over a year, now when I try to open it either via the shortlink on my task bar, or via "Start", the box with LiveCycle details appears, then disappears, and nothing happens.  Have tried rebooting my PC (Windows 7) but that doesn't fix the issue.

28 Replies

Level 10

Rename the "Designer" folder under C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\ and then start Designer.

Level 2

I do not have a Designer folder there?

Level 10

Sorry, might be under C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

Level 2

Ah, yes!  But, I'm sorry, I should have asked you - what am I renaming the folder TO?  "AdobeDesigner" - or what name should I make it?

Level 10

Doesn't matter, just rename it.

Level 2

Wow, this is getting very strange.  I renamed it, tried to open Designer, same experience.  It starts the box showing me the "about" information, then stops opening.  Then all of a sudden, there was another Designer folder.  So, I renamed that.  Then I tried opening Designer again.  It then created a THIRD folder named Designer?  So, seems that renaming the folder makes Designer create another "Designer" folder...

Level 10

That's a correct behavior. Designer recreates the folder if it does not exist.

The folder saves your user Designer settings and sometimes the data gets corrupted, so renaming/deleting the folder is a good way to reset Designer to factory defaults.

In your case this doesn't seem to be the root of all evil, so you'll have to look for another solution.

You should check the Windows event viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc) for more information about the app crash.

Level 2

OK.  I'm not technical at all.  I run a business, so we are now getting a bit out of my expertise.  I opened the event viewer but have no idea what I should look at, or, what to do with the log information I see?  No idea what any of this means.

Level 2

Unfortunately your last idea is just over my head - is there someone I can speak with?  I see there are all sorts of ES4 Service Packs, but when I go to the download page, I am overwhelmed with all the choices, and have no idea IF I should download any of these files, and if yes, WHICH ones? 

Level 10

Well, before doing anything with updates/service packs etc. simply uninstall Designer, reboot your PC and install it again.

Level 2

Do you know where the download link is?  When I log in to my Adobe account I see my serial number but no link to install/uninstall.  I had quite a time getting the product in the first place, and had to work with tech support who sent me a link at some point, but it was very complicated and I don't know where the link is now.  When I look for it on the LiveCycle site, don't see it there either

Level 2

I uninstalled the program, and now it refuses to install.  Who can help me?  This is holding up my business, and I would really appreciate someone to talk to if possible?

Level 10

Do you have an installer now?

If so, what messages do you get,when you try to install Designer? Add some screenshots if possible.

Level 2

I have now had to pay $200 for a tech who spent hours trying to uninstall and reinstall - error code 1722.  He FINALLY got it to install again, but it STILL refuses to open!  So, now I feel pretty frustrated, as you can imagine, and have no idea why this isn't working.  I use the software install from my account area, along with the key I was given for ES4, and no matter what we do, the darn software refuses to open.  We see the little rectangle box with the version information and then it disappears and nothing happens.

Level 10

Did you try another user account? Maybe your's is faulty.

Also, think of when the problem started: did you install any updates or other software around that moment? If possible restore your Windows to a point before the problems began.

For more details read this article: System Restore: frequently asked questions - Windows Help

Level 2

I only have one user account?  Yes, the tech removed a bunch of files and things he thought might be in the way, to no avail.  I don't know when the problem started exactly.  Sometime in the past few weeks, and I had the tech remove the item I had installed in that timeframe, no luck.

Level 10

Create a new user account and test it, this takes only a few minutes.

Here's a HowTo: Create a user account - Windows Help

Level 2

I will run that by the tech when I speak with him later today.

Level 2

I created a new user, and it does not work.  When I log on as that user, LiveCycle does not even show up as an available program for me to use.  When I try to install it, I get the option to "repair" or "uninstall".  Still does not work.  Next? 

Level 2

the error message mentions FormDesignerRegister is causing the problem