Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Adding attachments to PDF form

Level 3

I tried everything and looked everywhere and can't find the best solution to this problem.  I just need a way for the user to attach documents to a PDF form in Adobe Reader.  I have access to LiveCycle and Acrobat so is there way once the extended features are enabled for a user to add attachments to the form in Reader.  I have LiveCycle ES 8.2.1.  I guess the only possible way is when the user emails the form they can add the attachments then but I just want to see if it can be done by attaching to the actual form.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

As long as you have Reader Extensions server then you can give the right to allow attachments to the PDF. Here is a sample program that shows how to automate attachments.

Paul

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

As long as you have Reader Extensions server then you can give the right to allow attachments to the PDF. Here is a sample program that shows how to automate attachments.

Paul

Level 3

I don't think I have Reader Extensions server.  Thank you for your help, your information was helpful.

Level 6

If you Reader-enable the document in Acrobat, the user will be able to attach a file as a comment.

Level 3

Oh okay...um I don't have LiveCycle on this computer though because I work mostly on an Intranet.  Is it possible to send me the script in an email or on here??

Level 4

You can reader-extend for comments with Acrobat Pro on your desktop. See this page in help, which references a video, that explains it in more detail. This will allow file attachments in comments, just so long as your form is not a dynamic form.

If you're like to try this with a reader-extended form from the server, as only RE on the server can handle pdf attachments, let me know by a private message and we can exchange files.

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I am trying to run your example on a Mac (the form is reader extended) but the file selection pop-up doesn't work.  Is there perhaps a way around this?

Thanks,

Roy

Level 10

Hi Roy,

I can't test now, but I've had Paul's example working on a Mac before in Acrobat.

If you are using Reader on the Mac (or Windows), then the form would need to be Reader Enabled using LC Reader Extensions ES on the server.

If you have Reader Enabled the form in Acrobat, then the ability to attach files is not available to users with Reader.

See a summary here: http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Hi Paul,

How do I see the javascipt used here to add the attachments button? Can I use the same script in Acrobat? Thanks.

Level 6

Are you able to enable the document with LiveCycle Reader Extensions, or do you just have Acrobat Standard?

Level 1

I have adobe Acrobat X standard.

Level 6

Since you don't have access to LiveCycle Reader Extensions to enable documents so that files can be attached in Reader, the script won't work. The best you can do is inform your users how to manually add files as comments.

Level 1

Does LiveCycle Designer come with Adobe Acrobat X Standard or do I have to purchase it? Thanks for your answer.

Level 6

LiveCycle Designer won't help at all with enabling the document to allow file attachments. It used to come with Acrobat Pro, but since ACrobat 11 was released it isn't.

LiveCycle Reader Extensions is expensive server-based software that used to add various usage rights to PDFs. It can enable more things than Acrobat Standard or Pro is capable of enabling. One of those things is file attachments.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----