Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Add attachments with Reader

Level 1

Hello,

I am not being able to create a pdf that allows file attachments with Adobe Reader. With Adobe Acrobat Pro I have no issues but in Reader the option is grayed out. After enabling reader extended options I get the same result.

I've made some searches online and I cant figure out what im doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

LiveCycle Reader Extensions is a server-based product which is part of the LiveCycle suite.

If you are just using Acrobat and Designer you won't have access to that option.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 8

Did you Reader Extend with Acrobat or LiveCycle.  Acrobat Reader Extensions doesn't enable file attachments, LiveCycle Reader Extensions does.

Level 1

Thanks TundraSteve,

I have extended it using Acrobat.

I cannot seem to find LiveCycle Reader Extensions though... where can I find it? Is it a separate module? Do you think something could be missing in my LiveCycle instalation?

Level 8

If you installed all of the modules it should be there and if you installed the IVS test harnesses it should come up if you go to http://yourserver name or address/ReaderExtensions

Correct answer by
Level 10

LiveCycle Reader Extensions is a server-based product which is part of the LiveCycle suite.

If you are just using Acrobat and Designer you won't have access to that option.

Level 1

Thanks Jono,

You do confirm that for enabling file attachments in Reader I do need the LiveCycle Reader Extensions, right? If so, I will try to see with my helpdesk how to proceed since I have no admin rights on my machine.

Level 10

Yes you need the server-based Reader Extensions.

If your organization doesn't have any of the server products though then your help desk won't be able to do much.

And depending on how big your organization is they may not want to buy it as it is rather expensive.

Level 6

The alternative with Reader is to Reader-enable the document with Acrobat and instruct your users how to attach files as comments, but this doesn't work with dynamic XFA forms, only static.

Level 1

Thanks for all the answers,

I do work for a large organization and after asking around it seems we do have the server based Reader Extensions installed in a server. I will use them to activate the funcionality on my form.

Once again thanks for the insight.