Expand my Community achievements bar.

Accessible Checkbox wrong read

Former Community Member

Hello everyone,

I have a small problem with my document. I have 3 checkboxes where I set the accessible option to "caption" and thought that was good. However my user told me that this is not necceccary because JAWS reads the objects twice now. The captaition once and once the automated read out function that is part of the checkbox itself. So I changed the "caption" to "None". But now the thing is completely messed up. It still reads the text as if it were set to "caption" and also it does not read its own text but the text of the next checkbox. For example if I let it read checkbox 1 it reads the that checkbox 2 is unchecked and if I press Enter it checks checkbox 1. I have already looked into the XML of the checkbox object and the only difference I found between "Caption" and "None" is

<speak priority="caption"/>

<speak disable="1"/>

which I guess is just normal since there has to be a difference. So why is it doing this? How do I stop it?

Please, has anyone an answer for me????

Thank you  all very much in advance!!!!!!

Norbert

1 Reply

Level 4

I don't enter any information into the Tooltip or Custom Screen reader text windows unless the fields caption isn't explanitory enough to convey what is supposed to be entered into the field.  Then I use the Custom Reader Text window because by default CustomText is what's showing. I noticed that with Tool tip it did seem to be reading the label and then what I had typed in so it was basically reading it twice when I saved the form as a static pdf. When I save it as a dynamic pdf and have text in the accessibility window under the Custom Reader text, it does not read the caption showing on screen, only what I have typed into the custom text box.

And as far as checking the next box and not the one you have selected, I can't help you there. I made a little sample with 3 checkboxes and that's what I ran a test on. It seemed to always open reading the last checkbox first when I was using JAWS to listen to the form. I had to tab to get up to the first checkbox.  And on the static pdf it read the label and then the custom text. On the dynamic, it only read the custom text. But the dynamic caused JAWS to start babbling the first time I opened it. When I closed it and reopened, no babbling.

I know this probably won't help you Norbert, but I did learn something in the process. JAWS doesn't like to type on this forum.