Expand my Community achievements bar.

ACCESSIBILITY - Lifecyles

Level 1

Hello,

I read that the newer version screen readers allow you to switch between ‘browse’ mode and ‘forms’ mode using the down and up arrow.  I tested it and it worked, but not perfectly.  As soon as I hit the first form field it failed to read all the text and did not follow the tab order.  Also, as soon as the screen reader was in ‘forms’ mode I could not use the ‘H’ key to toggle through my headings.  My solution was to include the non-forms field text in the tool tip of the first forms field.  It seems to work okay but I would like an experts opinion on the effectiveness of this form before I proceed to work on other forms.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Please see the attached form.

http://healthcareathome.ca/eriestclair/en/Documents/Referral%20Forms/CS%20010%20E%20Referral%20and%2...    (couldn't attach the file for some reason :S)

6 Replies

Level 1

Also, when I currently open this document in Acrobat it shows that the document is not tagged, so it will not read out loud. Anything I can do about this?

Level 7

First off, which screen reader did you use? Secondly, yes, you can tag the form by setting the option in the form's properties.

678748_pastedImage_0.png

Level 1

Thanks jnicholas330.

I'm using NVDA.

I can't seem to find these Form Properties in acrobat xi. Can you explain how to get there?

Level 7

You cannot set the form properties in Acrobat, they must be set in LiveCycle Designer. Open the PDF, then go to File -> Form Properties...

Level 1

Well then, that makes sense why I couldn't find it. Thanks very much for the clarification.

That box is already ticked off but when I open the document in Acrobat it does not display any tags.

I noticed when I save the doc as a static document, I can get it to read out loud in acrobat and it displays all of the tags. However, I feel like that's not correct. Do all forms have to be saved as a dynamic document?

Level 7

You only need the document saved as dynamic if it has content that can grow or shrink. If you don't think you have anything like this in your form, save it as static and test its functionality.