Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Accessibility for button.

Level 1

Hello All.

I have a button that repeats a subform when clicked.  Everything works just fine, with one exception, screen readers only read the button's caption "+" and not the custom text.

Using the Accessibility Pallette I typed an explanation of what the button does when pressed in custom text and in tool tip.  Then I set screen reader precedence to "Custom Text".  However, the screen readers (JAWS and Thunder) only read the "plus" and not the custom text.  Am I missing something? 

For now I've added to custom text to the button's caption along with the "+", and made the font size 1 and the same color as the button.  I really don't want to do this for all of the buttons.

Your suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Windows XP, LiveCycle Designer 8.2, and Adobe Pro 9.

Thanks,

Jelf12

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I am using the same thing and found that it is working as advertised.....can you share the form so I can have a look. Send it to

LiveCycle8@gmail.com and include an explanation of the issue with the email.

Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I am using the same thing and found that it is working as advertised.....can you share the form so I can have a look. Send it to

LiveCycle8@gmail.com and include an explanation of the issue with the email.

Paul

Level 2

I am having this issue as well however it only happens with dynamic PDF forms.  Static

forms work as documented.

Is there a solution for the speak text with dynamic forms and buttons?

On our forms there is a button whose caption is Help.  The clicked event sends the client to a web page.  I would like the speak text to inform the client what it will do.

I can not use static pdf as it creates other issues with our form.

Thank you,

Former Community Member

Hi,

We are facing a revolt from our accessibility testing. Can someone tell me how I can get JAWS screen readers speak more than just the button's caption "+" and also the tooltip or custom text.

I'm hoping some expert can make my day.

fbook

Level 10

Hi,

I never got this working using NVDA either.  Ended up changing my buttons to "Add Worker Details" and "Remove Worker Details" and using a repeating subform and not a table.  I even raised a bug with NVDA but maybe I should have raised one with Adobe.

I hope someone can help.

Bruce

Level 1

This all goes back to the differences between static PDF rendering and dynamic PDF rendering (and dynamic PDFs really aren't PDFs despite the .pdf extension). As a result, the only screen reader to work with Dynamic forms is JAWS. Static forms will work with NVDA and WIndow Eyes as well as JAWS.

This issue regarding ignoring the screen reader precedence specified by the author in dynamic forms is another difference, and in my opinion is a bug in LiveCycle Designer. Essentially whatever setting is established, it is ignored in favor of the caption regardless of what the <speak> value is inside the <assist> element.

It is an issue because the use case where the assistive technology user requires more context is a fairly common one - for example a button labelled "Add Row" can be visually positioned to indicate you are adding an additional entry for new employee information. A button with the visible label (i.e., caption in LiveCycle parlance) "Add row to enter new employee information as needed" as a little bit unwieldy. Works as advertised for static PDFs because the tags are exposed, but dynamic is not a PDF and the folks at Adobe never could appreciate why users insist upon something with a PDF file extension should behave as a PDF file regardless of whether it's "static" or "dynamic". Thus from an accessibility perspective, the benefits of progressive disclosure that are possible for a dynamic pdf created in LiveCycle Designer are somewhat constrained.

Level 2

Was this ever resolved? This response was marked as the answer, but I don't see a way around this issue. I have a button labeled "+" which has custom tool tip and screen reader text "Add a new row below this one", but the only way I can get JAWS to read it is if I delete the "+" and leave the button blank.  Is there a way around this issue?

Level 10

You could try a caption like "+          Add a new row below this one".  So have enough spaces after the + so the text gets truncated, but it will still show up in the tooltip and be read by a screen reader.

Level 2

This is a great idea; I'll give it a try and see how JAWS handles it. Thank you, @BR001!

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----