Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

A way for end users to email completed forms?

Level 4

I would like my end users to be able to complete the form and then send the whole, completed pdf form (not just the data) to another person. I believe my users will probably be using the latest version of Adobe Reader. Now, I realize that saving information typed into a pdf form is technically not supposed to happen, and I imagine one would have to save the completed form in order to email it, but I believe a few months back that I followed a thread on this forum that discussed just how to circumvent this issue and allow an end user to email a completed form in pdf format. Naturally, I cannot find the thread now that I need it.

Anyone out there know if and how I can make this whole emailing business happen?

Thanks!

5 Replies

Former Community Member

You will have to Reader Extend the form before you distribute it. That can be done inside of Acrobat. Open the form and under the Advanced menu choose "Extend Features in Adobe Reader".

Paul

Level 5

First don't use the default e-mail submit button from object library, that will send just the xml data. Instead you can use the default button and set its control type to Submit. After this put in the Submit to URL field some thing like this: mailto:you@youcompany.com.

When you finish the form you need also extend the form by doing what our coleague said above.

Now when you click the submit button it will send the entire form through e-mail.

I hope this helps.

Diego Silva

Message was edited by: Diego-Silva

Level 4

Thanks Diego,

I have read about using a custom default submit button, but I don't think that will work for my purposes unless, that is, I am missing something in your response.  I cannot anticipate who my end users will want to email their forms to so I wouldn't know which address to list in the URL field. Am I correct in seeing this as an obstacle?  It would be cool if my users could email the entire form by clicking on a button, but I imagine that will not be possible in my scenario.  It appears I need a way to save the completed form so that it may be used as an attachment to an email.  Extending the form in AR doesn't create that capability, does it?

Level 5

Hi Jenny,

Are the end users going to fill a "to-email" field?
I mean, if they fill out a field with the destination e-mail, you can catch this e-mail and use to send the e-mail effectively. But you will need to change the behavior using a script, and you can find an example here: http://forms.stefcameron.com/2008/08/28/submitting-form-data-by-email/

It's a post from Stefan Cameron.

I hope this help.

Diego Silva

Level 4

Hmm. Well, I hadn't considered the "to email" option, and don't know that I know exactly what that is.  I will check it out and the script. Thanks a lot for your attention and help!