Expand my Community achievements bar.

Where to find more help or documentation?

Former Community Member
Hey everyone.<br /><br />I'm wondering if there are any other user communities or places to find additional documentation on this product. I purchased some Acro 7 books, but they really just mentioned Designer. I found through Google the Adobe XML Form Model Reference which is nice, but I'm still struggling with some things.<br /><br />I posted a message here last week about Conditional Forms. I've spent (no kidding) at least 25 hours trying to get this first form to work so I can base my remaining ones on it. I'm beyond frustrated now because in the process of troubleshooting, I've deleted literally everything except 2 radio buttons and one subform with one field in it trying to get it to show or hide. I still can't get even the one field to work. I've tried all iterations of code, but I don't even have any idea if there's a trace tool in Designer to see which values the buttons are passing. I'm guessing it's nothing built in and I'd have to code a message box on each button to show me the values.<br /><br />Anyway, I have 2 files, one simple sample that works, and mine. They both have very little in them, however, when I look at my XML, the order is different and contains different tags. Even after deleting anything that was different between the two documents, I still can't get this simple thing to work.<br /><br />I have no idea what I did wrong or different, since there's very little documentation, and I don't know the XML generated was in a different order (for example, in mine, the <event> was before the <checkbutton>s, in the sample it's after.<br /><br />Sorry for the rambling message, but I'm really hoping there's somewhere I can go for help. While I'd prefer not to macro this out in Word and I prefer the interface I can create for the user from Designer, I could have been about finished by now with Word.<br /><br />Please help.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Lisa
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Hello,

Have you consulted with our LiveCycle Developer center? Please have a look at the samples at the following location: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/designer_scripting_samples.html

Could you also comment the type of document you would like to see? We're always looking for how we can better help our form designers. Please tell us what you were specifically looking for that would have helped you in this case. You should definitely not have to spend that many hours designing a conditional form. We;re looking to revamp the document you're referring to provide clearer examples.

In the meantime, please have a look at the developer center samples or better yet, send me (aroy@adobe.com) the form so I can have a look.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Alain Roy

Group Product Manager, LiveCycle Forms

P.S. If you could send it today that would be great since I'm leaving tomorrow for a two weeks vacation - I apologize if I can't respond quickly enough.

Former Community Member
Thank you so much Alain. I so appreciate your response. I have really worked hard to try to use these forms instead of Word/Excel or a combination since yours, as far as my research goes, are so powerful and seem to be made exactly for how we want to use them.

I did respond to your e-mail with a couple samples for you to look at. I also responded with some samples of documentation that work well for mid-beginner to advanced user. Dorry they were Director, but that was an easy correlation for me and I figured with Macromedia in-house now, you might have some access to those examples :).

I also did look at the examples, but none worked, even when I took the form down to 2 radio buttons and one subfield. It just makes me wonder if something got hairy in my form that just made it not want to work.

I know the documentation and solutions will propigate more on the Internet as more people use this tool, it's just a little frustrating now to really find what I need, so I try to use forums, and there are not too many Designer forums yet, either.

I look forward to hearing back from you and hope you can gleen some solutions from my pages. I really would like to champion the PDF forms as an excellent alternative to other methods we use here, I just need to become a little more familiar with the tool and capabilities.

Thanks again and enjoy your vacation!

Lisa

Former Community Member
Alas, Alain helped direct me to why my forms were seemingly not working. When I previewed them in PDF in Designer, it defaulted to the full Acrobat Pro which wasn't displaying the show or hide functionality in my forms. Once I opened up plain Reader, I was able to see that everything worked.

Ahhh to love technology...

Thanks again!

Lisa